This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Problem with MS Update - System Protect

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but was where I thought I should post, if not then I'm really sorry. A couple days ago I had one of those little yellow shield things with the exclamation mark in it(Automatic Update Icon) down in the lower right corner, bottom toolbar and MS Update wanted to install an update. I have this System Protect thing on my computer to alert me when something is going on or happening with my computer so I don't delete or change anything that shouldn't be. Any way, I click to install the update but then that System Protect comes up with a warning ……. It says An Attempt To Delete A System File Detected! … It says - MRT.exe (Application) is about to be deleted by this process: mrtstub.exe . Then it asks me if I want to protect the system (in other words) stop the install or allow the deletion of this system file/folder. When I looked up MRT.exe online it said its had to do with the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool and when I seen that I thought that I shouldn't allow the deletion of it. So, when I click on Do Not Allow the deletion of this system file/folder, it stops the install. But after a few seconds that little yellow shield with the exclamation mark in it(the Automatic Update Icon) shows up again in the bottom right toolbar. If I click on it the whole thing happens again. Should I allow the deletion of this since its from Microsoft? I'm not sure what to do. For now I'm not deleting it. I figured I better check with someone first. If you could please help, I would really appreciate it. Thank you, Candi
Yes, allow it. The MS Malicious Software Removal Tool downloads a new copy of itself once each month. It includes any new virus signatures since the last time it was downloaded. That's how it is aware of new malware.
Hello candi7,

One of the recent updates was applicable to the Malicious Software Removal Tool. The specific update should be KB890830.

Sometimes when any application updates, it's necessary to completely replace the executable file. That's probably what's happening here, so nothing to worry about.


I hope that helps,


[Edit: Whoops…bit late. :P]
Oooooooooohhh! oook, great! I understand now, got cha. Thanks so much for your help! Sorry to have bothered you for something so minor but I'd rather be safe than sorry! Thanks so much again! Hope you have a great day! Take care, Candi

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI