This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Botched MSE Install

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hiya gang, Here is the link of the work TomK at the Malware dept did to my pc, http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…30&start=30

Was given the all clear. Now I am stuck and here is the run down of whats going on. What was going on that MSE would not update, was getting warning that MSE was not updated and was asked to update the software, but each time I tried it would not.

So as the Malware dept told me to do was to and cleaned up the system. Tried to remove MSE and reinstalled it, once it downloaded I went ahead and installed it, after if finish the updates, Got a message that MSE is out dated again, tried to reboot and that did not clear up.

Well called MS tech support site and the tech walked me through a few items, none seamed to work, on his last attempt the machine would not boot back up, we had to do a system restore to get me back running. MSE works but will not update, the Tech told me to check back on their database site to see if their is a possible fix for this problem later on or even suggest my system may not be able to run MSE, I am like what.

Was told sorry we cannot help you anymore message or as he suggest uninstall MSE and use another AV. Well now this time I have 2 folders of MSE but my add remove will not remove MSE any of them and I tried APP Remover and I Get this message with APP Removal saying Sorry the license has expired.

Well so now I am stuck with the botched MSE install, so any tricks up your sleeves?

System spec's"

Windows XP SP3 and all of the Windows updates
AMD Athlon ™ 64x2 Dual
Core Processor
2.00 GHZ, 1.93 GB Ram

Jimbo1
Lee no offense here but have you read over the postings in the Malware section? or what I posted? The system was cleaned up and this started after all the clean ups TomK walked me through, and this problem happen after removing MSE so I could reinstall MSE. I use to use AVG before installing MSE. We had to use App removal to get rid of the left over files that the AVG tool would not remove to run combo fix. Cannot use Revo because I used it once a while back when Doug had me try it, and trial period is over and downloading it again does not let you run it unless you pay for it. Not going to pay for it and only to find out it will not work. If you can please read over the Malware posting to see what may have happen. And read what I posted to see even that Microsoft themselves could not fix MSE. So the problem going to be is finding something that will remove it or coming up with a trick one of yall know or have dealt with using MSE, I even tryed all the other things on the net about this and nadda. Yes this system was restore quite a number of times because of the hang ups trying to use MSE, TomK had me use APP removal because the AVG removal tool would not take out AVG, he was thinking this could have messed up MSE also and this is why I called Microsoft Tech support and as I said they made matters worst and could not offer help to me and blew me off by saying check back later to see if a fix may be offered for this. So were back to the problem MSE cannot be uninstalled because APP removal will not work, REvo cannot be used. Was going to put AVG back on but you know as much as I do running 2 AV is a no no.
Thanks ZTrucker for showing me the picture of the correct one to download. The one I had tried before was the Pro Version Trial one. But Oldman960 in Malware section also had posted instructions for me and I thought I was done, here is what I did and waiting on further instructions from him, I asked if he wanted me to stay their or come here for futher help. I will let yall know. Appleoddity, After I did what Oldman960 and Z was recommending because I did not see this post REVO unistalled MSE but still left with this below and waiting on instruction of what to do next, I tried what you suggest and it did not pick up on MSE but yet these folders are still on the drive read below. Oldman960, thanks your correct I looked at what you provided and the version I tried was the Pro, so I downloaded the free version and it took out MSE, but 2 questions. 1. Their are still 2 folders on the hard drive on MSE is empty 2. The Second one is called MSE2 and it still has stuff in it and REVO is not picking up on it to uninstall it, this was one of the files the MS Tech had me download and that when it went south. So should I tell the folks in the windows section to hold off and stay here till I am given the all clear then go on over their and let them finish up with this? Jimbo1
This is from the Malware side of Oldman960 posting.

Hi Jimbo1,

Just saw that you had posted on the Tech side of the forum. You can continue either there or here as it seems we both are giving you the same advice on how to remove MSE.

You can remove the empty MSE folder. I'm not sure what the MSE tech had you do but Revo probably doesn't see the MSE2 folder because of the name. How is the computer booting now?

Let me know which topic you want to continue in as I don't think this is malware related.


Waiting to see if he tells me to pick up this matter here. Thanks Guys

Jimbo1
Hi Jimbo1, Yes I'm pretty sure the MSE2 folder can go. You can go over to the Tech side if you want to they may have something else for you. Glad it worked out. I suggest now that you are clean, install the av of your choice. Ok they gave me the all clear and now back here. 1. MSE has been uninstalled and the system is booting up like a rocket with no hang up's 2. Their is still an MSE2 folder on the hard drive witha bunch of files in it, that MS Tech was having me install MSE, but I think this is what went wrong, the Revo nor the add remove panel is picking up on this folder. So should I just delete this folder and second, should I attempt to install MSE again, kinda gun shy on this part consider the problems MSE gave me after getting rid of AVG, Thier was nothing wrong with AVG just as we called it bloatware and decide to go lighter foot print of an AV, before it was taking MSE over 8 hours to do a scan on this system. The BSOD problem I had a few time I waiting to see if that pop's up again before trying to work that problem. Jimbo1
Hi Jimbo1, If you are skitish about deleting the MSE2 folder, you can "rename" it instead, then see how the machine operates. Rename to: Renamed MSE2 12292011 (note the use of the date. For your future reference you will have the date to remind/prompt you that the machine has been running just fine without benefit from that folder) After renaming, yes, re-install of MSE would be a good course of action. Best Regards

Hi Jimbo1,

If you are skitish about deleting the MSE2 folder, you can "rename" it instead, then see how the machine operates.

Rename to: Renamed MSE2 12292011 (note the use of the date. For your future reference you will have the date to remind/prompt you that the machine has been running just fine without benefit from that folder)

After renaming, yes, re-install of MSE would be a good course of action.

Best Regards



Naaa I am not skittish of killing that thing, I have a gut feeling the tech on the phone had me install a file to do something to MSE and it went south. So I am going to blow it away and give MSE another shot, it may have been the fact with AVG problems that would not remove with the install of MSE may have been causing the hang ups. I will do this and see what happens. Going to make a restore point before doing so for the sake of it.
LOL, this is too funny, 1. I renamed that folder first, tried to install MSe now getting error code 2. Deleted the folder same thing still error code 3. Restore machine and tryed to install same thing error code error code 0x80070643, Went and did some reading tried about 6 differant trick that was suppose to work and nadda, last one suggest I go and open a tech ticket with MS, uhh ya right did before and it botched it. So I guess no MSE for me or this machine hates it hehehehe. Thought I post the results here. Doug I will get back with ya on some items you point out to do, thanks Jimmy
Have you tried Avira Jim?

Personally, I've never been a big fan of MSE. IMHO Avira is as good as anti-virus gets.
Never had a problem with it and never had any melware slip through either.

Whatever you choose, good luck,
Lee
I use to use it a long time ago, but when AVG came out I switched over, but as we found out MSE being a lightweight footprint is what I been telling folks to install, but I guess my machie is a demon of which it says fooda to MSE, funny how the tech messed it up and now another says to open a tech ticket lol. Going to look into it, for now I went ahead and stucj bloatware back on for protection, was running nakied without an AV on this system, I did make some changes our server admins gave me a vhost name, resetted my router, updated Spware Blaster and going to speak to Doug about my host files, I changed it once I need to find out should I do it again or update the host files each time theirs a new one or not. Got me a test machine for Avira and see how well it does, if this one does better than AVG then I'll make the switch. Jimmy
Are you trying to download through Microsoft Update, or directly from the Microsoft website? I've been using MSE for quite some time now, all in all, it also is an excellent product. It routinely beats out other free and commercial products on detection of new infections that I have submitted to virustotal.com. It also the most frequently downloaded anti-virus product on the planet now. Its also truly free. No pop-ups, no pro version, no tune up garbage, no toolbars - no thanks. Lastly, its freely licensed to be used in a commercial setting on up to 10 computers. So, I have a lot of positive things to say about it. The malware has most likely caused some corruption in the registry. I'm 100% positive the installation error has nothing to do with MSE. Its an underlying problem in your file system or registry. Possibly a permission issue. I'll take a closer and longer look for a possible solution later.

Are you trying to download through Microsoft Update, or directly from the Microsoft website?

I've been using MSE for quite some time now, all in all, it also is an excellent product. It routinely beats out other free and commercial products on detection of new infections that I have submitted to virustotal.com. It also the most frequently downloaded anti-virus product on the planet now. Its also truly free. No pop-ups, no pro version, no tune up garbage, no toolbars - no thanks. Lastly, its freely licensed to be used in a commercial setting on up to 10 computers. So, I have a lot of positive things to say about it.

The malware has most likely caused some corruption in the registry. I'm 100% positive the installation error has nothing to do with MSE. Its an underlying problem in your file system or registry. Possibly a permission issue.

I'll take a closer and longer look for a possible solution later.


Ok that would be great, Once the file was downloaed from filehippo, then the next 3 attempts the file was downloaded driect from MS website and the same install error, 0x8007064, I read over a lot of their so called fixes to this and nothing worked, when I sent in a request I was suggested of opeing a tech Ticket, Well as I told once I did and it went sour fast and was left hanging.

But I will wait and see I think your on to something because I was thinking last night something has to be causeing this. Here why, the very first time I went to install MSE, the download process for the update took a very long time to update, I installed it on pleanty other machine and it always updated after the install in less that a minuet, for me it took 27 minuets for it to update.

After the update I ran a scan and it took 14 hours to run, and all scans after were taking up to 5 hours or more to run, then once we started the clean up process of searching for insfections, the update would not longer update.

Hope this info helps a tad. for now I have the bloatware on to have some protection. Doug suggested some other things to me and done them but this of changing my MVPS host files, I did this once when I first came to this site and was woundering, would it hurt to change it again?

Jimmy

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI