This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Java Setup Problem

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Splt from: http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=104537

I am hoping someone can assist me, as I am completely frustrated with trying to install Java. The new version believes there is Java somewhere on my PC and the Java does not install correctly.
(I am using Vista 32 bit)

I tried both the online and offline version from here
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

For the online version my attempt ends in: Java Setup message “The software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?” Selecting yes ends in “Internal Error 2753.regutils.dll”
For the offline version from my desktop this ends in: Windows installer message “Another version of this product is installed. Installation of this version cannot continue…..”

I think I may have botched the uninstall of earlier versions though a combination of:
RevoUninstaller
Windows Install Clean Up
Deleting Java files directly.
I was trying to get anything with Java off my Pc.

So I found your site and this thread and it was with high hopes I ran on my desktop as Administrator both your suggested solutions’
JavaMSIFix and also you Batch file from 2010

However I am still unsuccessful and keep getting the messages referring me to existing versions on my PC, that I cannot find or trace!
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have split your post to a new thread so the solution doesn't get buried within an existing, unrelated thread.

The ability of the Java installer to "know" that a previous version is installed is dependent on two registry entries. Its apparent you have some registry corruption or permission issues.

This internal error 2753 has been around for quite a while. And its possible that even after fixing the "already installed" problem will not resolve the internal error 2753. I don't have time right now to research that problem and see what it means yet. I forget at the time being.

My first suggestion, is that you do a system restore back to prior to trying to remove or install Java (a few days maybe?). After that, go into control panel -> programs and remove any version of Java you can find. If it fails, ignore it. Next, go back to the Java MSI Fix download and run it. Lastly, download the latest offline installer of Java, http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=47363 and try to install it.

After that let us know how you make out.
I am despairing: this 2753 error makes it impossible to install Java > 1.5. I cleared the registry from JAVA, SUN, JRE, I deleted all JAVA-Files/DIrectories - but every Installation of up-to-date JAVA causes an ERROR 2753 with regutils.dll (Using win7 + SP) Regards MEMA
Thank you appleoddity for your reply. I just got back from holidays and tried your recommendations but it still will not work If it is relevant, I cannot see Java on my Tools >Internet Options> Advanced Tab, but can see it is Add Ons I am using IE on Vista
Please run the windows installer cleanup utility one more time. Look for any references to Java and remove them. From my understanding this shouldn't fix the problem you are having if my tool will not fix it, but its worth a try. When I search for your problem I see a lot of hints that the windows installer cleanup tool might help resolve the problem. After running the cleanup program and removing any Java entries, you might then need to run my fix tool in order to get Java to install if you get the "already installed" message. Let me know what you come up with.
I have been using the Uninstall or change a program in Vista and IObit Uninstaller program Where do I find the windows cleanup installer utility for Vista?
Thank you again, but despite all your advice which i believe I followed exactly, I cannot sort this out The first time around, after restoring my Pc back to an earlier time, prior to ever getting the install error, it looked like it was all going well with the new install with no error messages. However despite having an apparently successfully install Java did not work ( tested it on their own site as well as on application. Uninstalled it all all again (using the Windoes Installaer Clean UP), ran your Fix program and now the error 2753 is back and cannot install.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI