This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Problems Following Latest XP Update.

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello On closing down my PC today the latest XP update (14 parts!) loaded automatically. On restarting my PC for a later session the whole thing went bananas: Here are some of the effects: 1. AVAST anti virus did not seem to load properly 2 Unable to access internet (IE 'not responding') 3 Problems getting into control panel 4 Screens freezing 5 Whole system sluggish'freezing etc I decided to system restore to before the updates and EVENTUALY managed to do so. System seemed to work OK (although I had a weird message 'could not load file or assembly 'sortbls.alp'or one of its dependencies (I managed to clear this after hunting around google) OK - I then allowed the updates again (silly me!) and, lo and behold, same thing - only worse if aything. It took me the best part of an hour to access System Restore again, but it at least proves it was a problem related to the updates. As it stands I have now turned off the atomatic updates for Windows XP pending further advice. I have Googled around a bit but seen nothing as extreme as the reaction I have had (although I note a couple of earlier posts here about a specific update failing). I do not want to vulnerable by not updating as recommended, but this seems to be the only way my PC will work at present. Sorry to bang on at length but I am wondering if this is a widespread problem following this update package and if so, what best to do? Nelclaret (PS as you may gather I am far from PC literate. Hope the forgoing makes some sense!)
Hello Nelclaret, I don't think you're the only that's been having problems with the most recent updates. Did all the updates install? Or were there any which 'failed'? (In particular the KB2508429 update) Cheers, Nahumi
The best time to install Microsoft updates (safely) is on a Monday, That gives microsoft 6 days to sort out their Black Patch Tuesday problems :lol:

Cheers,
Lee

The best time to install Microsoft updates (safely) is on a Monday, That gives microsoft 6 days to sort out their Black Patch Tuesday problems :lol:

Cheers,
Lee


Good one Lee
Nahumi and Lee Thank you for your replies. I'm afraid my answers will not be very illuminating! I'm afraid I don't know if any parts failed to upload.. Not only that, I have no idea how to find out! It may well be the case that uploads are best performed on a Monday. However, the uploads were automatic and I had no control over them. Thanks Nelclaret
Hi nelclaret, Go to Control Panel / open 'Add and Remove Programs' and tick (maybe it's untick as I'm on W7 at the moment so I can't check) "Show Microsoft updates" and you will be able to view what updates recently installed. If you then return to Microsoft Updates, you'll soon know if you have missed anything. Cheers, Lee
Right click on My Computer and select Properties, or open System from Control Panel. Click on the Automatic Update tab. Set Automatic Updates to notify but not download or install. This way you will be notified when updates are available and can chose when to download and install them. You can also do it selectively, a few at a time and see which one is causing the problem, then system restore to just before you installed the one causing the problem, then when it's offered again, uncheck it and check the "Don't show me this update agasin" box in the next window. Alternatively, leave it disabled and the Monday after the 2nd Tuesday of each month, click on Start then Windows Update and check manually for what ist there.
nelclaret, Just so you know, you're not the only one that experienced those exact same symptoms. I installed the last batch of Windows XP updates (KB2566454, KB2562937, KB2570222, KB2536276 - v2, KB2567680, & KB2570791) on Friday before I left work, came in this morning to find the whole system borked: other users unable to find updated system on Network, reboot produced background with no icons (manual start of explorer.exe + stop process of original explorer.exe returned icons), clicking Start/My Computer/Network Places/Avast produced no result, no user listed in task manager, failure to shut down without hard stop… Started it back up in Safe Mode, rolled back the updates, and everything's back to normal. All updates had installed successfully, no failures. I haven't had a chance to determine which update(s) caused the issue, but if I figure it out, I'll let you know. Tanya
Hi weofui,

Though this is an old topic thread, the issue stays current with every month's Patch Tuesday.

I use something similar to Ztrucker's strategy posted above (wait a week)
I also use the download but don't automatically install part of the strategy.

My favorite online authority to sort out problems with Patch Tuesday bork-jobs is Susan Bradley over at Windows Secrets Newsletter.
Every month she investigates updates and patches, then posts her recommendations (and fixes when necessary)
http://windowssecrets.com/author/susan-bradley/
*laughs* I misread the date, thought it was AUGUST 15th. That's what comes from starting my Monday morning with Windows issues. Tanya

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI