MCnDaHouse
Topic Starter
I am working on friend's PC. It is a windows XP unit, an older HP. He was getting unmountable boot volume and such, fixed that and it was loaded with viruses. I put his HD as a slave in my PC and ran a variety of things including Malwarebytes, Norton AV, SuperAntiSpyware. I then put it back in his PC and ran AVAST and SuperAntiSpyware. It appears to be clean but… I cannot get it to run Windows update. It goes to load the software and gives a 0x8024D007 error.
I ran services.msc and it shows Automatic Updates is disabled. When I attempt to start it Start,Stop, etc are all grayed out. If I do properties it shows that it's disabled and the string is wrong:
%fystemroot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
There is an f in place of the s. If I go to recovery and try to tell it to run a program and put the correct info it says "access is denied". I even tried stopping and starting wuauserv from cmd line and it didn't work.
I downloaded Hijackthis, did a system scan and logfile. Here is the log for you:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2 Scan saved at 6:22:28 PM, on 12/15/2009
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000) Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe C:\WINDOWS\wt\updater\wcmdmgr.exe C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://toolbar.inbox.com/search/dispatch…&%language
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?&.src=ym
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = http://toolbar.inbox.com/search/ie.aspx?tbid=80208
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,CustomizeSearch = http://toolbar.inbox.com/help/sa_customi…tbid=80208
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.mirarsearch.com/?useie5=1&q=
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://toolbar.inbox.com/search/ie.aspx?tbid=80208
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = http://toolbar.inbox.com/help/sa_customi…tbid=80208
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: ALOT Toolbar - {5AA2BA46-9913-4dc7-9620-69AB0FA17AE7} - C:\Program Files\alot\bin\alot.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {4E2F511C-FDF6-4BEE-961C-F1936CD9F559} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [wcmdmgr] C:\WINDOWS\wt\updater\wcmdmgrl.exe -launch
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPGamesActiveMenu] C:\Program Files\WildTangent\ActiveMenu\HP\Games\ActiveMenu.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RegistryMechanic] C:\Program Files\Registry Mechanic\RegMech.exe /S
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [bafehamule] Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\System32\nojutoko.dll",s (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [bafehamule] Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\System32\nojutoko.dll",s (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-3341562259-572454927-963639892-501\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background (User 'Guest')
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdat…0682076577
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsof…0689052202
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O21 - SSODL: tulayejos - {dc41cf8e-2645-4f14-b2ed-63c87fc7c671} - (no file)
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: kupuhivus - {dc41cf8e-2645-4f14-b2ed-63c87fc7c671} - (no file)
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Virtual NIC Service (PackethSvc) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
–
End of file - 5627 bytes
———————–
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I'd like to note if I attempt a boot into safe mode it gives me a blue screen of death and says to retry and check for viruses. Thanks!
I ran services.msc and it shows Automatic Updates is disabled. When I attempt to start it Start,Stop, etc are all grayed out. If I do properties it shows that it's disabled and the string is wrong:
%fystemroot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
There is an f in place of the s. If I go to recovery and try to tell it to run a program and put the correct info it says "access is denied". I even tried stopping and starting wuauserv from cmd line and it didn't work.
I downloaded Hijackthis, did a system scan and logfile. Here is the log for you:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2 Scan saved at 6:22:28 PM, on 12/15/2009
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000) Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe C:\WINDOWS\wt\updater\wcmdmgr.exe C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://toolbar.inbox.com/search/dispatch…&%language
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?&.src=ym
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,SearchAssistant = http://toolbar.inbox.com/search/ie.aspx?tbid=80208
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,CustomizeSearch = http://toolbar.inbox.com/help/sa_customi…tbid=80208
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.mirarsearch.com/?useie5=1&q=
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://toolbar.inbox.com/search/ie.aspx?tbid=80208
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = http://toolbar.inbox.com/help/sa_customi…tbid=80208
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: ALOT Toolbar - {5AA2BA46-9913-4dc7-9620-69AB0FA17AE7} - C:\Program Files\alot\bin\alot.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {4E2F511C-FDF6-4BEE-961C-F1936CD9F559} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [wcmdmgr] C:\WINDOWS\wt\updater\wcmdmgrl.exe -launch
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPGamesActiveMenu] C:\Program Files\WildTangent\ActiveMenu\HP\Games\ActiveMenu.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RegistryMechanic] C:\Program Files\Registry Mechanic\RegMech.exe /S
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [bafehamule] Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\System32\nojutoko.dll",s (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [bafehamule] Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\System32\nojutoko.dll",s (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-3341562259-572454927-963639892-501\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background (User 'Guest')
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdat…0682076577
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsof…0689052202
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O21 - SSODL: tulayejos - {dc41cf8e-2645-4f14-b2ed-63c87fc7c671} - (no file)
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: kupuhivus - {dc41cf8e-2645-4f14-b2ed-63c87fc7c671} - (no file)
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Virtual NIC Service (PackethSvc) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
–
End of file - 5627 bytes
———————–
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I'd like to note if I attempt a boot into safe mode it gives me a blue screen of death and says to retry and check for viruses. Thanks!