This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

PC in restart loop on load - WinXP

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys, Hoping you can help me. I'm pretty sure I picked up a virus a few days ago - I have just returned from holiday to find my PC restarting on load. I remember AVAST gaving me a warning, then there was a pop-up Malware Virus Scanner, I managed to close that by ending the process. I ran AVAST which picked up a few items, and told me to re-scan on boot. When rebooting it proceeded to discover a heap of problems and asked if I should delete - being naive I clicked 'Delete All' and continued working on my other system. It deleted quite a few issues before loading up. After use I shut the computer down and I have only just returned and started that machine up. It gets to the load-up Windows page (background with icons loaded) and goes black, and restarts - as if it's stuck in a loop. I somehow managed to get to a blue screen saying: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent …. has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. It also said something about aspwSP.sys & STOP 0x0000008E (etc etc) Apologies for the vague description problem, as I restarted without writing down the displayed problem results. I'm running Win XP (Can't remember which version and I can't get to the start menu to see). I have Avast Home and Malware Bytes installed. I havent added any new hardware for over a year and the computer isn't even warm when operating. I tried restarting in Safe mode and Last known configuration with no success. If you can shed a light it would be greatly appreciated, Thankyou Warren

**In any case where you happen to be busy or unable to give us a reply, we would be grateful if you keep us informed in advance and we will be more than happy to wait. Failure to do so we will have your thread closed in THREE(3) days. :)


Hello there, Wazza

:welcome:

I'm Conspire, I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

Please observe these rules while we work:
  • Read the entire procedure
  • It is important to perform ALL actions in sequence.
  • If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
  • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
  • Stick with me till you're given the all clear.
  • Remember, absence of symptoms does not mean the infection is all gone.
  • Don't attempt to clean your computer with any tools other than the ones I ask you to use during the cleanup process.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Please do not delete anything unless instructed to.

—————————————————————————————————

Sounds like you need a reinstall of OS in your system. Do you have XP CD with you?

—————————————————————————————————

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI