Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord and Riding motorcycles and computers.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

Well as Doug pointed out to me, I was getting spammed with junk mail ad's, so I was clicking on remove me from list and as he pointed out to me that was a no no, now I just been adding them to my block senders list, but now the list is growing massively big. If their a way to remove the names from the list but still keep them blocked or outlook express cannot do that? Better yet I been using my e-mail address for over 16 years, so with the list growing bigger and bigger and being in xp should I switch over to another mail handler or as we say down here in the south, your are hosed. Hate to try and click on remove me from mailing list because what I was told thats bad news and once a pop up came out and thought I got poped with an infection. Jimbo1

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

to be honest i think i'd just create another e-mail address and use it only for important stuff and keep the one your using for spam, isp's usually allow you to create multiple e-mail address' from your account. never used outlook express but don't see a way to remove the names and still keep them blocked. just delete the spam e-mails without reading them. ;) :popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 08 April 2011 - 09:54 AM.

#3 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

to be honest i think i'd just create another e-mail address and use it only for important stuff and keep the one your using for spam, isp's usually allow you to create multiple e-mail address' from your account.

never used outlook express but don't see a way to remove the names and still keep them blocked. just delete the spam e-mails without reading them. ;)

:popcorn:

Nods but the bad thing, my work, shop, home, church contacts are to my old e-mail, all my ads and web sites and such would have to take on a major undertaking. Guess I am stuck. All of this started after creating a go daddy account for the church to built them a web site. :(

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#4 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

doesn't need to be an instant change, slowly migrate everyone to the new email account. ;) outlook should be able to get the emails from both accounts, and over time you'll find yourself checking the older one less and less. really i'd probably have at least 3 accounts if i were you, 1 for personal friends/family only, 1 for joining sites and spam, 1 for your business. :popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 08 April 2011 - 10:35 AM.

#5 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:38 AM

Going to dabble with something else, I notice when My new laptop was set up with Win7 I have to use windows live and it took or grab my info from my old e-mail the one I am using, I might and go look to see if their is a setting for clearing out them addys, a brain freeze if ya call it that want to check something out.

#6 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

I don't have it on authoritative reference or anything "for sure", but I believe that when you add an email addy to Junk file, it lists the address in a separate file. You can "empty" your junk file periodically, without loosing the protection of the list.

#7 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:09 PM

I don't use outlook express, but that is for sure how things work in Outlook. My fathers account probably has a couple thousand blocked addresses in the spam filter, but I clear out the junk email folder once a week.
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#8 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

Going to so some reading, when Outlook and outlook express are different, some of my understanding is one has more features than the other. I might give ms a call to see if I can get some info. Reason it was a pain because I blocked a person by accident and had to scroll down through all the blocked ones to find her to unblock her address. But my gut is telling me in outlook express once you send a blocked sender it stays in the list, because if you remove them from the list it allows them to send you mail again, no options to clear the list but to keep them blocked from what I can see. Jimbo1

#9 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:40 PM

Trying out an experiment, found something that may work will see how it goes, but it allows you to create rules of e-mail addresses and allows them to be deleted from the server before it gets to you with conditions.

Here is the link http://www.webdevelo...ook_express.php

Will see how this works.

Jimbo1

#10 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

Well it looks like I hit pay dirt, for over a week now no new spam came through and not being added to the block senders list, the mail rules works like a champ of deleting the mail from the server before it gets to me. LoL glad also my block senders list was getting massive. Jimbo1

Edited by Jimbo1, 19 April 2011 - 10:30 AM.

#11 rediaH

rediaH

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:26 AM

Hi Jimbo1:

I am not an Outlook Express user, however, just a quick question please - are these mails from any particular Domain, what is the likelihood of blacklisting the entire Domain (of course if you don't receive any useful mail)?

"Learning is the only thing the mind never exhausts, never fears, and never regrets"

#12 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

Hi Jimbo1:

I am not an Outlook Express user, however, just a quick question please - are these mails from any particular Domain, what is the likelihood of blacklisting the entire Domain (of course if you don't receive any useful mail)?

So far in a week no spam or junk mail or nothing, using the msg rules to do what I say custom make a command rule to delete them from the server works well. To answer your question yes many were from help@ then the name or contact@ the name but over 97% were with the help@ or contact@ just after using different names.

So using the modify rule in outlook express I used the and, if, or, rule meaning anything with help@ in this rule would be deleted from the server. TBH this is a cool trick and was glad to find it. Once I did this I removed and cleaned out my block senders list, nice to look at a few names verses 100 or so.

Hope this answer your question.

Jimbo1