This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Installed update now won't boot

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Had update this morning. Wouldn't shut off. Now won't boot. Running vista. When I try to boot in safe mode it stops at windows/system32/drivers/crcdisk.sys
Hello starwood, Could you let us know the specs of the computer? Other than the update, have you installed any other software? Cheers, Nahumi
It's an HP DVTt5. I'm using windows vista 32 bit. That is the only thing. It worked fine this morning. There was an update. When I restarted it wouldn't shut down. When I tried to restart it I couldn't boot it. I tried safe mode and it stops at crcdisk.sys.
Okay, Do you keep backups of all your personal data? Have you turned automatic system restore points off? And have you got your Windows Installation Disc handy? Chances are the update didn't complete its installation. Sometimes after an update is applied, Windows Update has to change system settings and files when it shuts down. If there is an error during this process, or it is interrupted, system files could get corrupted. Unless you've turned system restore off, Windows should make a restore point every time you have an update. Before I talk you through a system restore, I need to know the answers to all the questions above. The way we go about doing a System Restore really depends on those circumstances. Cheers, Nahumi
I have back-ups of most stuff. Some recent items I don't. System restore points is on (I think). I have system recovery DVD windows vista home premium sp1. I wanted to do a system restore but I couldn't get to it.
Why? Boot the Recovery DVD, do a System Restore to before the update was applied and you're done. Just make sure you know which update so you don't apply it again and end up with the same problem. Shouldn't cost you anything.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI