Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Do I install or not?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

I have read about Internet Explorer 7 giving trouble. I have downloaded but so far not installed 7.0. I am running Internet Explorer 6.0.2900 with no problems at all. Should I install 7.0? Would be pleased of your advice....thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

Hi, Like you, I had reservations about installing IE7. IE7 is now a "Critical Update" recommended by Microsoft, having passed through all the development phases and Beta Testing etc. Anyone who has Windows set to Auto Update will have had it installed, as a matter of course. I downloaded it like you and resisted the temptation to install it until it had a short time to settle down and for MS to issue any corrective patches! I have now installed this on one of my backup machines which I know to have a good copy of Windows XP on it with no spyware, viruses, or other potentially harmful elements. However before I did this, I cleaned up all my temporary files, caches and the like so my machine was as lean and sleek as possible, defragmented the hard drive and then set up a Windows System Restore point. After that I used Acronis True Image V7 (which is currently available free of charge) to create an image of my system drive's partition so that in the event of trouble it would only take 40 mins or so to reformat the partition and recreate the whole bag of tricks to the exact position the partition was in immediately prior to the installation of IE7. (naturally I have a full separate back up of all data files) I know this sounds a bit over the top, but I think its better to be safe than sorry! Having done the installation (on this back up machine) I am pleased to say that IE7 has performed, so far, faultlessly and I am pleased with it, and the extra level of security it brings over IE6 is very welcome. In line with my cautious approach I will continue to familiarise myself with IE7, try it out and try to establish any weak areas, before considering adopting the same procedure and updating my other machines, that I am currently leaving at IE6. In a month or so, all being well I will update the next machine, and so on in turn. I hope the above gives you a taste of my thinking, however I do know folks who dowloaded the beta version ages ago on their machines which if not running exactly running "Mission Critical" applications were vital to the sucess of their businesses without giving it a single thought! Some have had no problems at all whilst others suddenly became in-communicado and are no longer responding to e-mails!! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:57 PM

Many thanks Paws for your detailed report and experience with IE7.0. I have a great backup with Nortons Ghost 10 working with a Seagate removable internal 160GB Hard drive. I would however create a systems restore as you suggest and clean out all temporary files etc as you advised. I am not sure however that I will install at this stage, but reading your post makes me closer to doing so. No I don't think you are "over the top" at all, infact I like your reserve in advising folk as you do. Let them make the final decision is the ticket in all cases! Could you keep me informed as to how you go with your other machines as you install IE7.0 on them and particularly if you have a problem with IE7.0. Thanks again for your post which I realise took much time. I assure you I appreciate all the techies on TC do for me. kind regards

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:07 AM

Hi Tallin, Thanks for your kind words and I will post again on this thread in about another 3 weeks time to advise if any "issues" have cropped up with IE7. Just as an aside I think you are very wise to have a "Ghost Image" on a separate drive. When we are fixing folks computers (I run a small repair shop) we often take a hard drive image (with the customer's permission) just as a bit of extra insurance for the customer, and us! Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:48 PM

G'day Paws, Your welcome. A wise computer repair organization you are - I must say since installing Ghost 10 my mind is at rest regarding all that can happen inside that tower that sits under my desk. I am aware both my Hard disks can fail at the same time, but so can the world stop turning so to speak. Will look forward to hearing from you about your experiences with IE7........... Best regards,

#6 Unox

Unox

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:40 AM

Hi, I allowed my self to write here :unsure: When the IE7 BETA3 was here, I downloaded it and REGRETTED MUCH! Every single thing the pitstop would do, was going to ask you to allow it, since it did just that, it would have to start over again, and since you didn't have the option to alwasys allow it, the hole pitstop wouldn't work. By setting the security options on zero/low, and tickling a bit more with it it would finally work. Of some reasons, I'm now sitting here with Vista RC1, and using IE7 right as I speak. I just ran the pitstop, and it worked, you just have to allow some uploads/downloads and a bit more :) I haven't experienced any trouble yet, and is pretty happy with it, although I'm normally using Opera (from Norway, where I come from :P ). So if the trouble you've heard of is from the early betas, their probably gone now :D At the end you should lissen to Paws ^_^ , wich is more of an expert than me.

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:40 AM

Hi Tallin, Just an update as promised on IE7. My experience with IE7 on my Number 3 backup machine has been so good, (it has performed faultlessly and I welcome the additional security features) that I have decided to install IE7 on my Number 2 back up machine a little earlier than I originally intended. The usual precautions have been taken and so far this one performs faultlessly as well. It's too early to think that there will be no problems in the future, but I have probed the new application fairly extensively and..... so far so good. I will keep you posted and advise further when IE7 has been installed on Number 1 backup machine, about another 3 weeks I should think. I hope you receive this note OK as my keyboard may be suffering from some electrical interference, you see I have been watching the cricket on TV and my tears have thoroughly soaked the whole of my computer. Although I am only about 12000 miles away or so from you, I suppose you can easily hear my sobs from where you are! Regards paws

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

Hi Unox, Im glad that you are having good results with IE7. I think you are right and that the early Beta and RC versions still had lots of "holes" in them. I too like Opera it is a first class product. The Christmas tree, an annual gift from the people of Norway has just been delivered to Trafalgar Square in London and will shortly be looking at it's best. Thank you! Regards paws

#9 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:42 PM

Hi Paws,

Thanks you for your update regarding IE7. I apologise for my tardiness in answering your update, but I have been away.

I read with interest regarding your testing of IE7, however as IE6 is not giving me any trouble at present I will stick with it and watch this thread. You are much more experienced than I am so if you get into trouble with it you will be able to recover more quickly.

I did laugh at your "tears" over the cricket test - you had every chance this time so you will have to do better next test. Third time proves it you know!

Would you keep the thread updated if you do have a problem as I will read all posts with interest.

thanks again and good luck :rofl:

Hi Tallin,

Just an update as promised on IE7.

My experience with IE7 on my Number 3 backup machine has been so good, (it has performed faultlessly and I welcome the additional security features) that I have decided to install IE7 on my Number 2 back up machine a little earlier than I originally intended.

The usual precautions have been taken and so far this one performs faultlessly as well. It's too early to think that there will be no problems in the future, but I have probed the new application fairly extensively and..... so far so good. I will keep you posted and advise further when IE7 has been installed on Number 1 backup machine, about another 3 weeks I should think.

I hope you receive this note OK as my keyboard may be suffering from some electrical interference, you see I have been watching the cricket on TV and my tears have thoroughly soaked the whole of my computer. Although I am only about 12000 miles away or so from you, I suppose you can easily hear my sobs from where you are!
Regards
paws

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:56 PM

Hi tallin, Just a final update on the IE7 installation question, I have now installed IE on the last Windows XP machine, and I'm pleased to report everything running smoothly, exactly as for the other XP machines, with no problems. I've just got the Windows machines running Win 2000, 98SE and ME left with IE6 (or earlier) Most folks will think I'm mad but I still have one running Windows 95, one running Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and ah yes, with DOS 6.22. (one of my customers runs a DOS based word processor, called TopCopy which most folks have never heard of as it must be over 20 years old now, or more! and I do their file conversion to MS Word and look after their backup) It was a great wrench for me to get rid of DOS version 3.0! Regards paws

#11 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

:D thanks Paws for your update. Glad all is going well with your machines using IE7. As I am running along well at the moment, I will leave IE6 where it is, but eventually will update I am sure. Cheers and thanks again

#12 Cstrikedish

Cstrikedish

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:07 AM

New IE 7 looks nice. The tabs of course and rendering looks faster. Just tried it with IE 7 and it works fine. Why not try it?
[removed spam signature - admin]