This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Slow netbook system

34 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Pandoris, After following the instructions, I have installed Java JRE 6 w/o deleting the older versions (Because I cant find the old files). Anyway, I did a scan using combofix after cleaning my comp up using ATF and my comp runs much faster. Thanks! But I still have a few questions and problems 1. I tried unintstalling Combofix using 'Combofix / Uninstall' prompt. It did an uninstallation, but it prompt for a 'new version update' (WEIRD). So i went ahead to update it to a new version. It did another scan and gave me a log file, which is free from malware I guess (Confirmed by my friend). After that, I tried to uninstall using the 'Combofix/ Uninstall', and it just keep scanning. A quick question, how do I unistall combofix? or I can leave it in my comp for future uses. Any suggestions? 2. Regarding the AVG anti virus, I have tried installing twice and it prevented me from using internet explorer. Is there any suggestions on other open source antivirus which is free and good to use? Sorry to trouble you. Thanks for the aid!
Please be very careful when typing the uninstall command for Combofix. It needs to read exactly like this:
Combofix /uninstall
There must be a space between the x and the / but NOT between the / and the u. Give it another try and if it won't uninstall that way then we will use another tool to remove it.

If you cannot find any other versions of Java in your add/remove programs now then it is fine.

Here are some of the better free AV products.
Microsoft Security Essentials
Avira AntiVir
Avast!
Hi Patndoris! Thanks for your instructions! Had managed to uninstalled ComboFix and installed Avast! into my netbook. I had some problems with installing so my friend helped me installed the AV product. Also, had updated the latest Adobe reader X 10.1 as per your instructions. Thanks for your help! Is there anything I should take note of? (I heard netbook need frequent maintainance). Or any threads I can refer to? Really again, so sorry to give you so much trouble.
You are no trouble at all. I'm glad we could get your machine running better! :)

Please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer malware free and secure:

Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently
It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

Use and Update your AntiVirus Software
It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future. It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

Use a Firewall
Your log doesn't appear to show a third-party software firewall installed - if you have one, and I've missed it, please ignore this. I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

Below are links to some free options:
Sunbelt Kerio OutPost
PC Tools Firewall Plus
Online Armor Free

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some other available ones see the link below:
Understanding and Using Firewalls


Use only one antivirus and one firewall on your machine
Having more than one anti-virus program and one firewall on your machine, even if only one is running, can cause conflicts and slowdowns in the performance of the machine.

Make your Internet Explorer more secure
This can be done by following these simple instructions:
1. From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
2. Click once on the Security tab
3. Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
4. Click once on the Custom Level button.
5. Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
6. Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
7. Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
8. Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
9. Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
10. Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
11. When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
12. If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
13. Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Keep your Java, Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash Up to Date
Older versions of these programs can contain security vulnerabilities. It is very important to keep them updated.

Update and Run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Scan your computer with this program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software making sure you update definitions each time you scan.

To simplify making sure you have the latest version of many of your security programs and applications, you may want to consider:
Secunia's Personal Software Inspector (PSI). It is a free utility that scans your computer for installed applications and checks to see if they have the latest security patches and updates. If it finds any applications with possible security issues, links and/or instructions are provided for the necessariy updates.

Filehippo's Update Checker. It is free utilitiy that scan your computer for installed software, checks the versions and then sends this information to see if there are any newer releases. Available software updates are displayed and you can decide which ones to download and install. Among many other types of programs, they includes a number of the Anti-Spyware, Firewall/Security and Anti-Virus programs that have been recommended (though not all of them). Note: Definition files should be updated from within the programs themselves. The Update Checker look for newer versions of the software program, not definition files.


As for routine Netbook maintenance, I'm not aware it is any different than any other machine. Netbooks tend to have smaller hard drives and less memory so keeping it free from unnecessary files would probably be a good idea. You can do this by using Windows Disk Cleanup and keeping your browsing history, cache and cookies cleaned via your Internet Explorer tools. Or, you can always run ATF cleaner once in awhile. It's not something I'd do weekly or anything but if you start to notice a little slowness and you don't have any symptoms of malware a little cleanup can't hurt. For more information you can post in the Windows Forum. They should be able to shed more light on Windows and netbooks for you and offer some other maintenance suggestions. You can feel free to link them to this thread if they need to see anything.


Good luck & Happy surfing!
Hi Patndoris! I had already installed the firewall, updated my avast! and would ensure all updates are up to date. Thanks for your help for this period of time and it had really helped me alot! =) This would be my last post on this thread and I would like you said, would monitor other threads so as to maintain my netbook regularly. Thanks so much! :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI