This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Synchronising second computer as backup

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have two laptops and would like to set up the second machine as a back up facility by synchronising the files from the main machine. Perhaps this could be done as live transfer or as occasional updating. I have used a longwinded method of burn to CD and import to second machine before, but this is cumbersome and time consuming. Both machines are running wireless to internet and both have XP Prof SP3 and Ms Office 2003 Prof and Outlook 2003. I guess some form of networking is one alternative, but I wondered if there was a simple piece of software that would enable this without the need to network. Maybe there is already something on my machine within my existing MS software package? I have no experience in this so help would be appreciated. Rgds……….bar457

I have two laptops and would like to set up the second machine as a back up facility by synchronising the files from the main machine.
Perhaps this could be done as live transfer or as occasional updating.

I think you need to define your needs more clearly. There's a big difference between real-time and occasional. When/how often do these systems need to be synchronized? Every night? Once a week? Real time?

And what is being synchronized? Data? Or programs too? Often it is just easier to save to "the cloud" or to some network storage device both computers can access.
Hi Digerati Well I don’t need to actually use the backup computer data files much that I am concerned about, it is just mostly there in case my main unit crashes and I lose important data files, then I would be able to just move to the other machine and carry on. As I have the second computer already, it makes sense to use that rather than another storage system and I don’t really want to store somewhere else anyway, I would rather have it there under my own roof and readily available to me. The frequency is not so vital, once a week would probably be acceptable, daily would be nice, live is not necessary but if that was just as simple to do then why not. I would like something very simple that is either automatic or just requires some simple manual keystrokes to update. The files would be within My Documents and in Outlook Contacts/Address Book. It is not a vast amount of data, but is important. Since posting I have started to spot some free software such as Always Sync, FolderShare(MS), Sync Live (Windows Live), GoodSync, etc and am wondering if one of those might be appropriate. bar457
The My Documents would be easy, you can just open up sharing and drag and drop the contents of that. Outlooks Contacts might be a problem because I believe they need to be imported.

Now that you have defined your need, perhaps someone reading can offer the best solution for you. If me, I would have a 3rd computer for network storage or a NAS device. Use a simple backup program to regularly backup to the network storage. Then any computer on your network could access those backup files. You may have to periodically manually "export" your Outlook data, or use the Outlook add-in, Personal Folders Backup.
As I have no way of remembering which files I have altered, etc, I will not be able to select specific ones for sending to the second backup computer, so I am looking for a software that will transfer any changed files automatically from My Documents and of course Outlook, hence my need for some form of synchonising software. I don't know how this sharing facility works exactly but it looks like a bit of manual manipulation is required, so that does not look to be the answer. Also I definately do not want a third computer or to upload it to an online storage where I then still need to do a manual job of obtaining it and would still need to somehow update the files on my second machine when I access it. That whole type of system is far to complex for regular synchronising. I am positive there are millions of people who synchronise two machines, whether it be a laptop to a desktop, or a blackberry and a desktop, or just so two seperate machines can be accessed with the same information on. I have not used networking, but is that what that does. I think I need to find a software that will synchronise the two machines by identifying any changes made and then updating just those files. It does appear there might be some from a Google search that might do something like that either by scheduling or by intermittent manual activation. bar457

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI