Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

sharing MS OFFICE?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MobileMania

MobileMania

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Knowing about advanced Technologies

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:03 AM

hey all! How do i share Microsoft office software with another computer in my house without a CD Drive? My main computer has a copy of microsoft Office 2003. I am wanting to copy this piece of software to a netbook i have in a sperate room. This netbook does not have a CD Drive so am unable to install the software directly onto it. Am i able to copy and paste the entire folder onto a External HDD and then load it up that way?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

No it won't work that way. First you need to check that you have a license from Microsoft to run the extra copy of Office.... if you have a licensed copy then its OK to proceed...if not then its either buy one or go open source. (Open Office Etc.) If your licence situation is Ok and you are "all legal and above board" then the easiest way is to borrow an external Optical drive (USB CD/DVD) plug it in, insert the disc and install it. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:46 PM

If you can't get the external drive... once you get a legal key for the second installation... you should be able to network the two computers and then map the CD drive from your desktop to the laptop.
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#4 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:27 PM

thought microsoft office usually allows you to legally install it on 3 home pc's..?? that's the way i'd do it to Tomk, :thumbup: :popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 19 December 2010 - 09:28 PM.

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:33 AM

thought microsoft office usually allows you to legally install it on 3 home pc's..??

Yes that is right...with a full retail version ( subject to conditions........)

The licensing position can be tricky though.... This is why I recommend that folks check out their own individual position carefully before proceeding.
1 Most preinstalled OEM versions of MS Office 2003 can only be installed on the original computer. It is not even transferable,and folks should not attempt to install it on any other machine, without advice. Microsoft can advise exact details if in any doubt.
2 Student and Teacher versions of MSO 2003 can usually be installed on 3 machines in a household and can be transferred (all subject to conditions)
3 Full Retail versions of MSO 2003 can usually be installed on one desktop machine and one portable within the household and is transferable.
If in any doubt, particularly to decide a transferable version must be uninstalled before trying the new install or to see if your own situation is covered by your licence it is always best to check with Microsoft. There are so many versions available that its practically impossible for most folks to even try to remember all the terms and conditions (without referring that is.)
E&OE :P

Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate