as follows…computer working this morning. Windows XP home, I think. (Wife's computer).
I walked into the room and the dos-like screen had a list of devices installed and not installed.
Didn't seem to have any options, so switched the machine off, then on.
After a minute, came up:
Hard-disk drive failure
Press F1 to continue Press F2 to enter setup
So, first, anything I do to verify that the HD is dead?
Happily, I've got all the files on Carbonite…..
If it's well and truly dead, I presume I 1) buy another computer w/Windows installed and then reinstall programs and then download files.
or 2) install another HD and install from the ground up (I do have instructions on that from a previous incident).
Any other/better thing to do?
Thanks!
Though some folks do think of the Hard Drive as "having everything" and thus being super-important, that is not necessarily so.
Particularly because you have your saved files backed-up (good for you) it may be possible to repair the file structure on the existing Hard Drive, and/or if necessary purchase a new Hard Drive upon which to install your existing Windows XP operating system, and applications.
Depending upon your intentions, attempting the above could save considerable money and allow the computer to continue to be in-service for years to come.
If you are planning to buy new anyway, then our discussion can stop at this point.
Please let us know.
Doug
Thanks for your lightning reply.
Getting my wife back up to speed online ASAP is the main thing, for business and for her peace of mind (just likes the tools to be working and available).
I have a new HD that I haven't installed in my computer [my Windows is very corrupted and needs to be reinstalled] and four pages of instructions from a year ago from a member named Paws as to how to proceed through Windows, software, A-V, etc. installation from scratch, which I have not embarked on yet (getting away with workarounds for routine stuff).
So I could go that route.
Perhaps I should mention that I do not hear the HD spinning. There's a brief blast of something when it's turned on — the fan?
Would that right there, if correct, cut out the possibility of re-establishing this HD?
Of course to a non-whiz it's looking simpler to start with a computer or HD with Windows pre-installed.
Won't be throwing away my wife's computer no matter what — fix it up now or later. Just trying to assess the fastest, least harrowing path to getting back up to speed. Will take advice!
Thanks again.
Hi Denno, if you need the computer up and running quickly and you have a spare hard drive then it will only take 5 minutes to fit.
Installing Windows XP takes about 45 minutes. You will then need to install Service Pack 3 if your install disc does not include this, so download it now on a working machine and put it on a flash drive or CD ready to install on your computer.
You will then need to install your anti virus (Windows Security Essentials is good and (free!) update it and then start downloading the Critical and Important Windows updates and install them. If your computer is working OK at this stage there is no urgent need to install any more up to date drivers. You can do this at your leisure if everything is functioning Ok
Connect to your router, just plug in the Ethernet cable, install your favourite applications (MS Office perhaps and away you go.
Regards
paws
Hi Paws
OK
I will try the speed version as you describe it. No harm if I screw it up.
Will approach this after The Game tonight and report. Heck, should be by midnight local…..
Glitch.
(BTW, took a couple hours out of that 45 minutes to format the drive. Should'a' maybe selected "quick"?)
Glitch is: no driver for the ethernet "card," which is a little cube on the motherboard. Motherboard is a Foxcomm G33M02; have been looking at least half an hour and cannot locate a downloadable driver for it. Maybe just too late at night. [And then I have to copy the driver onto a floppy, carry the floppy drive downstairs and plug it into the under-repair computer and install driver from there]. [Due to limitations on my upstairs computer].
Alternate solution is just go buy a new card that has an installation disk.
Hey, why wouldn't the driver be in the BIOS or wherever?
Denno
Unglitched. Called a friendly local Computer Renaissance shop and got a friendly local guy who reminded me I ought to have a second installation disk with drivers and so forth on it. I did.
Online, downloading updates and A-V…
Hi denno, thats good to hear..
Looks like you have done a fine job
When you have got it all done 100% don't forget to take a disc image..it will be good insurance for the future!
Regards
paws
Grazzi! I will now be empowered to fix my own doggone machine.
(I have the Lo-o-o-o-ng version of the process, provided by you like a year ago. Might want more help when I go to reinstalling the HD with the corrupted Windows, which also has all my files).