This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

So I was told this could be a driver error...

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there,

I posted this at the Virus, Spyware and Malware removal forum, where Tomk informed me after examining a DDS log that I posted for him that it appears to be a problem with a driver.

Here is a link to the post I'm referring to:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=117287

And here, as per the guidelines for this forum, are some specs on my computer:
Acer AspireOne Netbook running Windows XP Service Pack 3

If you require any additional information, I'll be happy to provide.
Hi mediaklepto,

I've checked the hardware specs. required for that game RuneScape and it has very low requirements, so I doubt that's an issue. As suggested by Tomk, It could be a driver problem as there were a few other issues besides crashing during that game.

If you haven't already done so, download the latest video driver from here: http://support.acer.com/us/en/default.aspx Click on the drivers link.

Make sure you remove the old driver first and then install the new one after rebooting. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
Lee
Thanks for responding, Lee! I greatly appreciate it! I just have one quick question regarding uninstalling the video driver; I've never messed with video card drivers before, least of all on an XP machine, and ever less so on a Netbook. I just want to be sure; I should download the driver, uninstall the old driver, reboot, and then install the new one? I must seem completely clueless right about now, but I've decided I should be better safe than sorry! I'd rather not blow something up, if at all possible. :blush:
Don't worry, every computer tech. was once a noob. and in lots of areas ( many) I still am. I bet there are areas you are no noob but quite competent in. :thumbup: Here is the correct method of installing a new driver: 1. Download the new video driver to your desktop. 2. Right click My Computer > manage > Device Manager > Display adapters > right click on whatever that shows > properties > click on uninstall. 3. Reboot when uninstall is complete. 4. Double click on the downloaded driver to install. After install, reboot and defrag. Cheers, Lee PS: Talking of games (earlier post), just started playing Mass Effect 2 game of the year … Woohoo, what a game !
I downloaded the most recent VGA driver from Acer's website, so that's good to go. However, when I went to uninstall the driver, there are two devices listed under Display Adapter. They both read as the same thing: Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family The first one is at Location: PCI bus 0, device 2, function 1 The second is at Location: PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0 The second one also has a much longer list under the Resources tab; where the first only has one listed. What do I do now? Thanks for all your help so far in~
Thank you very much! The driver has been successfully uninstalled and updated, and the computer defragged. Is there anything else I need to do?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI