Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

DCOM ERROR WHEN OPENING INTERNET BROWSER

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 momopapa

momopapa

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

I'm currently using IE7 as my internet browser. About a week ago I noticed that my internet connection had gotten almost unusable. If it did connect after several minutes the connection was useless. First thought I had picked up malware or spyware but have run both the Malware and Spybot products with no change. This morning I looked in the System Event Viewer under the Administrative Tools section of Control Panel and found tons of error logs. All of them seem to be the same "The server(.....)did not register with DCOM within the required timeout." The Event ID is always 10010. I went to the Microsoft site and find a posting referencing the error but couldn't follow the resolution. I did also try Firefox but get the same error. I have another PC that's working just fine so it's something with the PC. Acer Aspire 3000 running Windows XP SP3. Can anyone help me decode the error and a fix. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

Hi momopapa, welcome to WhatTheTech.

The first thing I would try is a System Restore to a date before this problem started occurring. That "should" resolve the problem. See here:
How to use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur

If it doesn't or if System Restore doesn't work for you, I did find this. It's old but I wonder if it applies:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444

Under Resolution, see this section:

For a computer that is running Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 and is not running as a domain controller, follow these steps:

Even though you are running XP, I wonder if this is what is happening. Check the permissions on the %windir%/registration folder as the article suggests, see what they are set for.

Here is another MS KB Article: DCOM Clients cannot create Objects - event ID 10010

Edited by Ztruker, 22 January 2010 - 08:14 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 momopapa

momopapa

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

I was able to fix this problem using directions I found in Microsoft Article 81344, even though the DCOM error is not specifically mentioned. It seems that when I executed Method 5 to reset the Internet Explorer settings my problem went away.
http://support.micro...kb/813444/en-us

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

Glad to hear it's fixed. How did you come across that particular MS article?

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 momopapa

momopapa

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

I think I was just very lucky. The title of the article 'You cannot log in to or connect to secured Web sites in Internet Explorer' came up an a search of the Microsoft Support web site and caught my eye. Thanks again for your suggestions!