This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Live Messenger

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 2 GB ram Intel pentium dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00 GHz 64-bit Operating System When I try to open MSN Messenger I get the following message: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. I have uninstalled Windows Live and reinstalled several times. I have even installed the newest Internet Explorer because I saw that under Internet Options/Programs/Toolbars I am missing Windows Live ID Sign-In Controller. That was one suggestion I came across in my search. I don't use IE, I use Google Chrome for my browser. I have not found a way to download it either and reinstalling obviously does not work. Microsoft support is no help either. Can anyone help me?
Its probably a problem with the Visual C Runtime library. The full error message suggests that you open your application log and take a look at it for more information. Click start, type EVENTVWR in the search box and press ENTER. Expand "Windows Logs" and open the application log. Look for the error(s) that are recorded at around the time you tried to run Live Messenger. Copy and paste the contents of those messages here. They will tell you (us) exactly what the problem is.
Thanks Paws. I ran SFC and it found and fixed some but not all errors it found. I have also run CCleaner and a program called Combofix that someone else recommended. I still get the same error message and find it is not just Messenger but all Windows Live components like Write and Mail. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks appleoddity, I will do that. I think it is related to Visual C too and had reinstalled Visual C++ Runtime Setup Package but there was no change.
Here is the copied log from when the issue first appeared: Log Name: Application Source: SideBySide Date: 2/24/2011 1:07:44 PM Event ID: 33 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: Aline-PC Description: Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Contacts\condb.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.1" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis. Event Xml: 33 2 0 0x80000000000000 103629 Application Aline-PC Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.1" C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Contacts\condb.dll Log Name: Application Source: SideBySide Date: 2/24/2011 1:05:31 PM Event ID: 33 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: Aline-PC Description: Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Contacts\condb.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.1" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis. Event Xml: 33 2 0 0x80000000000000 103628 Application Aline-PC Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.1" C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Contacts\condb.dll Log Name: Application Source: SideBySide Date: 2/24/2011 1:04:45 PM Event ID: 33 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: Aline-PC Description: Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Contacts\condb.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.1" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis. Event Xml: 33 2 0 0x80000000000000 103627 Application Aline-PC Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.30729.1" C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Contacts\condb.dll

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI