This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Iomega external HD problem

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'd really appreciate any suggestions as I'm stuck here. I've got an Iomega Prestige 500 GB external HD. It was hooked up to a Mac and worked great, I had about 200 GB worth of files on it. The Mac went kaput last week- logic board failure, not worth the repair cost to fix- and I picked up a used PC which is working fine. When I plug in the drive, it shows up as New Volume (D:) with 109 MB free of 126MB. No files are found, just some folders with sample photos and such that I assume can pre-loaded. Perhaps this has something to do with it being formatted for a Mac before, and now it's connected to a PC? Is there a way to reformat without losing the files? I don't get why only 126MB is showing up. Thanks very much for any help on this.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions as I'm stuck here. I've got an Iomega Prestige 500 GB external HD. It was hooked up to a Mac and worked great, I had about 200 GB worth of files on it. The Mac went kaput last week- logic board failure, not worth the repair cost to fix- and I picked up a used PC which is working fine.

When I plug in the drive, it shows up as New Volume (D:) with 109 MB free of 126MB. No files are found, just some folders with sample photos and such that I assume can pre-loaded.

Perhaps this has something to do with it being formatted for a Mac before, and now it's connected to a PC? Is there a way to reformat without losing the files? I don't get why only 126MB is showing up.

Thanks very much for any help on this.


I could be wrong but if that disk was formatted with a Mac os, then windows will not see it. But lets see what other tech's may have to say about this.

Jimbo1
Thanks for the reply, Jimbo1. So maybe everything added to the drive from a Mac can only be accessed on a Mac then. Not a huge deal, I can try to hook it up to a friend's Mac and see what happens, but I just thought I'd ask here first in case there was another way around.

Thanks for the reply, Jimbo1. So maybe everything added to the drive from a Mac can only be accessed on a Mac then. Not a huge deal, I can try to hook it up to a friend's Mac and see what happens, but I just thought I'd ask here first in case there was another way around.


That may be worth a try, if you can hook it up to another mac and see the data then copy it, but do not give up hope yet, I just going back in the old days of dos and early windows, if a disk was formatted lets say with a different os (ie mac), then you could not see the files on another machine that has a different os (IE Dos, windows ect.). But who knows like I said lets see what other techs may come up with. I will pass it alone to them and see.
Disclaimer: I'm not a Mac user. Mac HD can be formatted into Mac OS (journalling) for operating system and applications Mac OS (without journalling) for saving files, media, docutments, etc. Mac can also format a partition into NTFS. this is useful because Mac can read NTFS (files initially saved using a Windows PC onto a Windows formatted NTFS or FAT16 HD However, the opposite is not true…. Windows OS cannot recognize/read Mac OS saved files. _____________ Course of action… You might benefit from using a known-good Apple Mac system. If you have space… format a partition on the Mac HD into MS -DOS file System Then open your files via Mac OS and save them to the MS-DOS file System Partition. There is also a file-converter utility known as ntfs-3g that can handle files up 4gb in size. Never used it. No way to recommend it. _______________________________________ Please keep in mind, that if you format the hard drive, in hopes of making it compatible with Windows PC, you will in the process have wiped out all your files,
try using a linux live cd, like puppy linux :- http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%…g%20Started.htm
linux usually see's all files on any file system, unlike a windows os,

also you should be able to use a 3rd party software program in widows like this :- http://www.webtlk.com/2008/12/09/how-to-re…s-vista-and-xp/ or this http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/
to read the files on that hard drive, i think mac uses HFS+ file system.

:popcorn:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&c…mp;aql=&oq=
Doug, terry1966– Thanks very much for the information and suggestions. It's been a long day at work and I'll take a closer look at all of this tomorrow. Cheers!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI