Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Corrupted 8GB USB storage device [resolved]

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Linda Murphy

Linda Murphy

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:58 AM

I have an 8GB USB drive which I've somehow corrupted. When I attempt to format it (as FAT32) it looks like it's going to do it, showing a progress bar for a few moments, but when it gets to the end, it says it cannot format the disk/device (don't remember the exact wording). When I attempted a check disk (from the 'Tools' tab of properties) I saw nothing. No error messages popped up and no dialog boxes prompting for inputs. If it were a 1 or 2 GB thumb drive, I would trash it. But the 8GB drives are ~ $20 at my local Staples, so if I could recover it, repair it, that would definitely be preferrable. Any suggestions for a tool to repair this little USB drive? Anything available in 'Computer Management > Disk Management'? I"m also planning to install Easeus partition manager - maybe that'll have a 'repair' facility. thank you! Linda

Edited by Linda Murphy, 19 May 2011 - 06:20 AM.

-Linda

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Nahumi

Nahumi

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Technical Support
    Software Development

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

Hello Linda Murphy. Sorry to hear you're having problems. Are you doing a 'quick format'? Have you tried formatting it to NTFS? Cheers, Nahumi
Nahumi

Visiting Tech
@jamescpegg | FreeTrakr
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online..

#3 Linda Murphy

Linda Murphy

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:19 PM

Hi Nahumi! Not doing a quick format. (left that unchecked) NTFS is not one of the choices in the drop down list of the dialog box. thank you!
-Linda

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:12 AM

Hi, there are a lot of fake USB memory sticks in circulation, you should be OK if you got it from Staples, but if its under warranty or covered by consumer protection codes in your location/jurisdiction, then maybe its worth while taking it back for a check out/refund/replacement.

If this does not apply then these are the steps I would take

1 Format it again from a command prompt... if no go, then
2 Try again from a different USB port (try them all) if no go, then
3 Try again from a different computer
4 If still no joy then take a look here:
http://www.softpedia...rmat-Tool.shtml
download the tool and try that (It works on most USB memory sticks)
5 if no go then format from a computer running Linux
6 If still no joy then put it in the recycle receptacle, and get a new one!
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Linda Murphy

Linda Murphy

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:04 PM

I tried the HP formatting tool from softpedia, but it failed. Was gonna chuck it in the trash, but then I thought of something else... I have Easeus Partition Master installed - so I opened it and used it to format the 8GB usb stick as FAT32. Applied, then closed EPM Then I right clicked it in My Computer, went to Tools tab and did a disk check, checking off both checkboxes. It finished. No complaints. Then I copied some files onto it. No complaints. Then I deleted the files from it. No complaints. Then copied the files back again, opened a few files. No complaints. Then deleted the files from it. Used Auslogics defrag to analyze fragmentation. 0% I'm tempted to format it as NTFS, though I'm not sure what the advantage of that would be. Looks like I was able to salvage it. thanks for your help!
-Linda

#6 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

How's about that! :thumbup:
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

Well done, :thumbup: glad you fixed it, but its best to leave a USB flash drive formatted as FAT32 Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#8 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord and Riding motorcycles and computers.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

I'm tempted to format it as NTFS, though I'm not sure what the advantage of that would be.

Well done Linda, I like to ask a question?

What would be best formatting the stick to fat 32 or NTFS? all mine are fat 32 atm.

Jimbo1

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#9 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

simple answer is fat32. usually faster and can be used in any pc regardless of os. :popcorn:

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:59 PM

Hi Jimmy, Most memory sticks come formatted as Fat32 as this is quite versatile, however some folks like to reformat as NTFS (and there are advantages) but these will not be accessible on some systems (pre Win 2k...eg Win 98 etc and quite a few Linux ones and some Apple Macs)
Fat32 is good for most folks but see here for further info:
http://www.geckoandf...fs-file-system/
Regards
paws
EDIT it looks like Terry beat me to it.......again!

Edited by paws, 08 April 2011 - 02:00 PM.

#11 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord and Riding motorcycles and computers.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:58 PM

EDIT it looks like Terry beat me to it.......again!

K, thanks fat 32 it is then.

PS: Just got to type them paws faster thats all :)

Jimbo1

Edited by Jimbo1, 08 April 2011 - 02:59 PM.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#12 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

it's because you give better more rounded and informed answers paws. ;) :popcorn:

#13 Linda Murphy

Linda Murphy

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:20 AM

Not sure why at the time I was trying to use NTFS rather than FAT32 - I think NTFS is better at preserving certain file attributes? Anyway, I found that the particular USB drive I had the original problem with was not stable. Even though I would do chkdsk's on it, surface tests, etc, I still couldn't format it with Disk Management in, e.g. Windows 7. And I would get other error messages from time to time. I don't know if it was a hardware failure, firmware failure, or what. It's in the trash. I just don't want to wonder if one day some really important file I need is stored on it, but got corrupted. I've replaced it. thank you for all your help! (Is there a way to mark this topic as 'resolved'?)
-Linda

#14 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:50 AM

Hi Linda, We don't mark topics as "resolved" in this forum (only in the malware removal forum), but thanks for posting ... I think you are absolutely right....if there is any doubt about a memory stck (Flash drive) its often a smart move to get a new one, especially as they are relatively inexpensive now. Putting an importnat file or folder on a unreliable memory stick and then having problems accessing it can be :pullhair: Regards paws