I have an 8GB USB drive which I've somehow corrupted.
When I attempt to format it (as FAT32) it looks like it's going to do it, showing a progress bar for a few moments, but when it gets to the end, it says it cannot format the disk/device (don't remember the exact wording).
When I attempted a check disk (from the 'Tools' tab of properties) I saw nothing. No error messages popped up and no dialog boxes prompting for inputs.
If it were a 1 or 2 GB thumb drive, I would trash it. But the 8GB drives are ~ $20 at my local Staples, so if I could recover it, repair it, that would definitely be preferrable.
Any suggestions for a tool to repair this little USB drive? Anything available in 'Computer Management > Disk Management'? I"m also planning to install Easeus partition manager - maybe that'll have a 'repair' facility.
thank you!
Linda
Hi, there are a lot of fake USB memory sticks in circulation, you should be OK if you got it from Staples, but if its under warranty or covered by consumer protection codes in your location/jurisdiction, then maybe its worth while taking it back for a check out/refund/replacement.
If this does not apply then these are the steps I would take
1 Format it again from a command prompt… if no go, then
2 Try again from a different USB port (try them all) if no go, then
3 Try again from a different computer
4 If still no joy then take a look here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-D…rmat-Tool.shtml
download the tool and try that (It works on most USB memory sticks)
5 if no go then format from a computer running Linux
6 If still no joy then put it in the recycle receptacle, and get a new one!
Regards
paws
I tried the HP formatting tool from softpedia, but it failed. Was gonna chuck it in the trash, but then I thought of something else…
I have Easeus Partition Master installed - so I opened it and used it to format the 8GB usb stick as FAT32. Applied, then closed EPM
Then I right clicked it in My Computer, went to Tools tab and did a disk check, checking off both checkboxes. It finished. No complaints.
Then I copied some files onto it. No complaints.
Then I deleted the files from it. No complaints.
Then copied the files back again, opened a few files. No complaints.
Then deleted the files from it.
Used Auslogics defrag to analyze fragmentation. 0%
I'm tempted to format it as NTFS, though I'm not sure what the advantage of that would be.
Looks like I was able to salvage it.
thanks for your help!
Hi Jimmy, Most memory sticks come formatted as Fat32 as this is quite versatile, however some folks like to reformat as NTFS (and there are advantages) but these will not be accessible on some systems (pre Win 2k…eg Win 98 etc and quite a few Linux ones and some Apple Macs)
Fat32 is good for most folks but see here for further info: http://www.geckoandfly.com/4369/how-to-for…fs-file-system/
Regards
paws EDIT it looks like Terry beat me to it…….again!
Not sure why at the time I was trying to use NTFS rather than FAT32 - I think NTFS is better at preserving certain file attributes?
Anyway, I found that the particular USB drive I had the original problem with was not stable. Even though I would do chkdsk's on it, surface tests, etc, I still couldn't format it with Disk Management in, e.g. Windows 7. And I would get other error messages from time to time.
I don't know if it was a hardware failure, firmware failure, or what. It's in the trash. I just don't want to wonder if one day some really important file I need is stored on it, but got corrupted. I've replaced it.
thank you for all your help!
(Is there a way to mark this topic as 'resolved'?)
Hi Linda,
We don't mark topics as "resolved" in this forum (only in the malware removal forum), but thanks for posting … I think you are absolutely right….if there is any doubt about a memory stck (Flash drive) its often a smart move to get a new one, especially as they are relatively inexpensive now.
Putting an importnat file or folder on a unreliable memory stick and then having problems accessing it can be
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI