This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win 7 Update Just Killed My Comp!

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a HP/ Compaq nx 6110 Lap top with Win 7 Home Premium. All has been fine, never any problems with the updates. After signing on and doing some work, the popup alert showed the Microsoft Security Updates were available. I looked them over and let it run as normal. When it was done, it asked me to restart, I did! Then the start up repair window came up and ran, then said it could not restart! So I tried running the backup, it too failed! It kept giving me the 0x8000ffff alert. I tried everything and got rejected! After browsing the Microsoft tech forums, I found that this is somewhat common. I tried one step that detailed using the command prompt to list the update packages, then remove them one by one. That failed too, then I read that Microsoft blocked this function at some point?? Now I'm at the point where I'm ready to pull the HD and install in a housing to pull out my files then reinstall the HD and OS. Are there any other tips that I can try before I pull the plug? P.S. Is there a file that stores the book marks in FireFox like the way IE does? I could always grab it in IE, but never seemed to find it in FF?? Thanks!

I have a HP/ Compaq nx 6110 Lap top with Win 7 Home Premium.

All has been fine, never any problems with the updates. After signing on and doing some work, the popup alert showed the Microsoft Security Updates were available. I looked them over and let it run as normal. When it was done, it asked me to restart, I did! Then the start up repair window came up and ran, then said it could not restart! So I tried running the backup, it too failed! It kept giving me the 0x8000ffff alert. I tried everything and got rejected! After browsing the Microsoft tech forums, I found that this is somewhat common. I tried one step that detailed using the command prompt to list the update packages, then remove them one by one. That failed too, then I read that Microsoft blocked this function at some point??

Now I'm at the point where I'm ready to pull the HD and install in a housing to pull out my files then reinstall the HD and OS.

Are there any other tips that I can try before I pull the plug?


Thanks!


Hiya AntZ,

Sorry to hear about your problems, I have a question to ask and I did not see this because I did not see this in your post.

1. But are you able to boot up into safe mode? If so did you try a restore to an earlier point before the updates. If you had not tryed this, then see if you can, other than that wait a bit I am sure another tech may have a trick up his or hers sleeve that may be able to help.

Another thing you may give it a shot is to call Microsoft and see if they could help.

Jimbo1
Sorry I wasn't more clear, when I said "back up" I actually meant Restore. It rejected ALL attempts to restore with the Win 7 repair panel, and every attempt to start in the Safe Modes! I tried them all! I stuck the Win 7 disc in it and used it's repair panel, it was the same that I could get into with the computer and I never got anywhere! That repair panel has: Repair Start up, Restore, Restore from Image, Memory Test, and Command Prompt. All attempts failed!

Sorry I wasn't more clear, when I said "back up" I actually meant Restore. It rejected ALL attempts to restore with the Win 7 repair panel, and every attempt to start in the Safe Modes! I tried them all! I stuck the Win 7 disc in it and used it's repair panel, it was the same that I could get into with the computer and I never got anywhere!

That repair panel has: Repair Start up, Restore, Restore from Image, Memory Test, and Command Prompt.


All attempts failed!


Hummm for the time I would go ahead and make that drive like an usb drive to copy your data off of it, I will past this on to another tech to see what they can come up with. Hopefully one will be by and take a look at this post.

Jimbo1

Sorry I wasn't more clear, when I said "back up" I actually meant Restore. It rejected ALL attempts to restore with the Win 7 repair panel, and every attempt to start in the Safe Modes! I tried them all! I stuck the Win 7 disc in it and used it's repair panel, it was the same that I could get into with the computer and I never got anywhere!

That repair panel has: Repair Start up, Restore, Restore from Image, Memory Test, and Command Prompt.


All attempts failed!


Just to clarify, did you run the Memory Test and it came back with errors?

Edit : If the update has corrupted system files, you can run both SFC (System File Check) and Chkdsk to try and fix the problem.

To run both of these, just insert your Installation disc, go to the repair screen and then Command Prompt. For SFC, type in "sfc /scannow", without the quotes. Let it run and fix any errors. For Chkdsk, type "chkdsk /f", again without the quotes.

If you get any errors, especially failed fixes or bad sectors, post them back here. If you haven't already done so, run the Memory Test too. Let it do at least two passes before posting back.

Sorry I wasn't more clear, when I said "back up" I actually meant Restore. It rejected ALL attempts to restore with the Win 7 repair panel, and every attempt to start in the Safe Modes! I tried them all! I stuck the Win 7 disc in it and used it's repair panel, it was the same that I could get into with the computer and I never got anywhere!

That repair panel has: Repair Start up, Restore, Restore from Image, Memory Test, and Command Prompt.


All attempts failed!


Just to clarify, did you run the Memory Test and it came back with errors?

Edit : If the update has corrupted system files, you can run both SFC (System File Check) and Chkdsk to try and fix the problem.

To run both of these, just insert your Installation disc, go to the repair screen and then Command Prompt. For SFC, type in "sfc /scannow", without the quotes. Let it run and fix any errors. For Chkdsk, type "chkdsk /f", again without the quotes.

If you get any errors, especially failed fixes or bad sectors, post them back here. If you haven't already done so, run the Memory Test too. Let it do at least two passes before posting back.



I did do the memory test! Came back all good!

One of the screens did say that there was a "Corrupted File" in regards to the update. I only saw this once after when the comp. first started to refuse to start.

Interesting idea with the Commend Prompt! I had not tried that, I'm doing it now!
An Update: I tried the SFC (System File Check) and Chkdsk! The SFC started, and then said there was a problem that it will fix on restart, and to also run it again! I would restart and run again, then it would just say the same thing again over and over! When I tried the Check Disc, it immediately stopped me and said the it could not run because the disc was copy protected. So this morning I pulled the HD and have already recovered all my stored files to another external drive. When I reinstall, I can try any other tricks that might work, then at some point I'll probably need to reinstall?? My fingers are still crossed!
Hmmm, I don't see much of an alternative. It's possible that the failed tests could be due to a failed hard drive…but I think that's unlikely because you got your files off okay. Did you notice any odd behaviour when you were recovering your files? Are all the files intact and working?

Hmmm, I don't see much of an alternative. It's possible that the failed tests could be due to a failed hard drive…but I think that's unlikely because you got your files off okay.

Did you notice any odd behaviour when you were recovering your files? Are all the files intact and working?



Yeah, all the files copied without a problem!

While reading your post, I was struck with the idea of doing the Scan Disc as an external like it is now!

It's running right at this moment, as I write this! When finished, I'll reinstall into the lap top and see what happens??

B.T.W. , That HP model has an incredibly easy system to R/R the HD! Two screws to remove the cover, one more at the bottom of the drive, and you then pull a tab and it pops out!

My Sony VAIO is a nightmare, on the other hand! About 30 micro screws on the back, splitting of the case and disconnecting at least 3 cable tapes! :pullhair:
You really should have reported this issue to Microsoft incase it's killing other PC's.

Issues with getting Windows Updates.

This is a free service and toll-free call.

1-866-PCSAFETY
or
[removed]
It is available 24 hours a day for the U.S. and Canada.

For support outside the United States and Canada, please contact your Microsoft Help and Support worldwide. Go to this page and choose your region from the box in the upper right corner: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=SecurityHome

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI