This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows did not start

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My environment: 12-month old Gateway NV58 laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium, CPU Intel Core2 Duo T6600 2.20GHz, 4Gb RAM; until yesterday, Windows Updates set to download and install automatically. I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, updated automatically. No software or hardware installed in past three months. Problem: On 22 Jan, I was called away while editing an Excel2007 spreadsheet. When I returned some 2 hours later, I was confronted with a "Windows failed to start" message and an overlaying dialog box with Restore and Cancel buttons. I cancelled and watched while the "automatic" fix process completed saying it could not fix the problem and to remove any recently installed devices or drivers and re-try. I restarted with the same "Windows did not start" result. The auto fix process went through its 18 tests showing for all results: "completed successfully. Error code 0x0". This time I attempted a restore (the two showing were for 1/21/2011 1:39:30PM and 1/18/2011 1:00:45AM both for Windows updates). As the Windows update was the only change to the PC, I opted for the 18Jan restore point. This completed successfully but on restarting the same "did not start" box came up. I noticed during the boot process that a blue screen with about 10 lines of white text flashed by: no idea what it says. After a another restore to 14Jan point, I shutdown the computer. I disconnected the USB-wireless mouse and ethernet cable to the router and restarted this time booting into Windows normally with a message that it had been restored to 14Jan. KIS reported that its Blacklist file was corrupted. I did a user data backup with Windows backup, did a create system image to DVDs and created a System repair disk. I then shutdown, re-connected the router and wireless mouse and booted normally. I then repaired KIS successfully. I continued working and after taking a break came back to the same "Windows did not start" situation. I had suspected the latest Windows update but had forgotten to turn off automatic updates. I went through the process as before but this time two attempted restores completed "Unsuccessfully". I went ahead and shutdown the PC and after turning it on again Windows started normally with a message that it had been restored to 15Jan (the second point I had selected). Again, KIS reported that the Blacklist was corrupt and I again repaired it. I immediately set Windows Update to download but prompt for install. So far I've not had a prompt for new updates. I'd like to know if indeed Windows Update has caused this problem, perhaps conflicting this KIS2010. Any suggestions to rectify this situation so I can confidently install Windows Updates would be appreciated.
Hi Kangaroo,

Yes, Kaspersky might have somthing to do with a failed update.
It would be a good idea to review your update history for failed installs. The link below will explain how to do that and how to troubleshoot any problems. See how you go there and if you still have issues, return here.

"How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

Cheers,
Lee
Thanks, Lee. My Windows updates show one important update pending (KB976902 which relates to enabling future SP installation). My update history shows this update was installed successfully on 15 Jan 2011. I have no failed updates in my update history. I've sent a query to Kaspersky to see if they can shed any light on this situation. I'll post the result.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI