Software
problem with burning DVD with Nero 10
4 min read
kayaref
Topic Starter
Hello,
I hope someone can help me.
I have 4 individual accounts for my family on my computer running Windows 7.
From my account I can burn CD's and DVD's with no problem using Nero 10.
My daughter was attempting to burn a DVD from her account last night and the burn process failed.
The errors are as follows:
"Calibration Area Full" and "Session Fixation Error".
She can burn a CD with no problem, only DVD burning failed.
I tried new blank disks, and restarting the computer with no change.
If required I will post a Log file from Nero.
I hope someone can help, I have not encountered this problem before.
Many thanks,
Kevin
Doug
DVD recording errors often come down to problems with the disk media or with the burner firmware.
But in your case, you mention that DVD burning (presumably using from the same DVD disk batch and the same drive) works from your account and not your Daughter's.
Have you observed the projects that your Daughter attempts and then find that you can do the very same project using your own user login account?
Is it possible that she is setting a higher Read/Write speed in her projects than what you select when you burn DVD.
Lower/Slower speeds tend to be more successful.
If you haven't tried to replicate the "exact" same project that fails from your Daughter's account, then please do.
For instance, you may have had success burning DVD's in general from your account, but your Daughter may be drawing from a different source or type of file?
example:
Dad successfully burns system and document backup DVDs
Daughter has difficulty burning video or game material downloaded from the internet
I am suggesting two factors to investigation:
1. Settings used from Dad's account vs. Settings used from Daughter's account
2. Source or type of files successfully burned with Dad's account vs. different source/type when Daughter is attempting to burn DVD.
kayaref
Hello Doug,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
The settings in Nero and the source directory for the file were identical.
As I mentioned before, I was able to burn a DVD from my account, but not from my daughters account.
The situation has now changed since your reply.
I am now getting the same error messages from Nero from my account as well as the other 2 accounts on the comp.
Would this possibly be a hardware problem?
I created an error log if you require it.
Many thanks for your help.
Best regards,
Kevin
Doug
Probably not hardware, because the optical drive RW function did work for one of your accounts.
Unless the unit became damaged, or possibly if it is an external optical CD/DVD RW unit connected via USB
Possibly a conflict caused by new hardware or software installed, or remotely could relate to Windows updates (unlikely)
Have you fully activated your Nero 10 (must be activated withing first 30 days after installation)
Did Nero 10 come as pre-installed with your computer? Is it a trial-version?
Which version of Nero do you have installed? (is it Nero Multimedia Suite 10. or other)
I'm not sure what can be determined from the Nero 10 error Log, but please do post it as any additional information may help.
kayaref
Hi Doug,
Thanks for that.
The software was installed around June 2010 and was activated at that time.
I installed it myself and the version is Nero multimedia suite10.
The drive is an ASUS DRW-24B1ST and is an internal drive.
Would it help to uninstall nero and reinstall it?
I have another computer with identical software and Optical drive which still burns fine, this was purchased at the same time(June 2010).
Please see attached log file.
Regards,
Kevin
kayaref
Hi Doug,
UPDATE:
I thought I would try a different brand of disks just to see if it was the media.
Well the burner is now working.
It would seem that I may have had a few faulty disks in the original batch (TDK) that I purchased a few months ago.
This threw me, as I tried a few disks out of the batch which all seemed to be faulty.
I am crossing my fingers to see if this is the case.
Regards,
Kevin
Doug
Hi Kevin,
Receiving different success rates with different batches of DVD media does point mostly toward the Disks as the source of difficulty.
Though not familiar with Nero 10 (haven't used Nero since vers. 6.6), it does appear that the burn rate was set at 12x
In actual practice, I've found more success when reducing the write/burn speed to the lowest available (for instance, 2X or 4X, instead of 12X or 16X)
I hope your current success will continue without interruption.
Please let us know if you encounter anything in addition, either error or success.
Others may learn from your efforts.
Best Regards
Jimbo1
Well put Doug, I use Nero a lot for my music files and in the past I have ran across bad disk causing problems such as this, I ended up switching to another mfg and that cured the problem.Receiving different success rates with different batches of DVD media does point mostly toward the Disks as the source of difficulty.
Still using ver 7 here and liked it a lot, others I tried were a bit buggy and decided if it's not broken, then don't fix it.Though not familiar with Nero 10 (haven't used Nero since vers. 6.6), it does appear that the burn rate was set at 12x
Aye same here, lots of times even during a windows install when it failed, I ended up switching to a slower speed drives and installs worked fine.In actual practice, I've found more success when reducing the write/burn speed to the lowest available (for instance, 2X or 4X, instead of 12X or 16X)
May you have a good day.
Jimbo1
kayaref
Thanks for all your help and input guys.
Best regards,
Kevin
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI