I hope you don't mind if I link to the Malware Removal forum I was using to explain the problems I'm trying to work through on my husband's laptop. I should have posted to a hardware forum such as this one. Please find the link below, and thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided!
Hi and welcome to the WTT forums
Sorry to hear of the problems with machine, but glad to hear that Dakeyras has ruled out major malware issues on your computer.
This problem is often caused by either a faulty hard drive or an incorrect setting in the BIOS.
We will address the BIOS issue first as this is the most likely area….
If the laptop is trying to boot from a network (rather than your hard drive) then the errors you are getting are likely. So firstly do this:
1 Enter the BIOS, by hitting the appropriate key immediately after pressing the power on button
2 the appropriate key on most Dell computers is usually F2, on other machines it's usually Esc or Del (NOTE) the BIOS is sometimes called "Setup"
3 Look for a setting in the BIOS called "Boot Priority" it's sometimes to be found in the Advanced Settings or may have a separate section for itself entered by a menu running across the top/bottom of the screen.
4 Ensure that the Priority for boot devices is set first to Hard Drive, second CD/DVD/Optical Drive, if you can disable booting from network do so but otherwise ensure that the boot from network comes at the end of the list.
5 Its vital that you save the settings before exiting from the BIOS and please do not alter any settings in the BIOS other than the Boot Priority
6 When you have saved your BIOS settings and exited the BIOSYour machine will start….
Let us know how you go
Regards
paws
Ok, I was able to get into BIOS and changed the settings as you recommended. I had been able to boot the computer properly from time to time prior to making this change.
Also, the computer in question is not hooked up to a network at the moment. I did use the Norton Removal Tool as Dakeyras recommended. I'll download Avast Home Edition to a thumb drive and install/run it before going online with it again.
What next?
And thanks!
Cara
Uh-oh, got a problem. Can't get online now. No browsers work, email says something about a POP3 problem… but computer shows it's connected to our network without error, and our other laptop is browsing away just fine… Help?
Hi, I'm confused.. I thought the problem was that you could not boot the machine and you were getting the network error…..
Has the amendment to the boot priority enabled you to boot the machine?
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI