This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Suspicious web link - now can't start up with just blinking light

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So I clicked a suspicious web link, nothing immediately happened and I went to bed. Yesterday morning I got up and the laptop power was out. I thought perhaps the battery had died (maybe it did, I don't know). I tried to power it on, but when I pressed the power button, it just blinks on for a few times, then stops and it's back to being dead. I tried holding down the Shift button + power, zero button + power, nothing (I have Windows 10). I removed the battery, pressed power to deplete any residual electricity, tried again - nothing.

 

I've never had a computer show that it has power, but refuse to even give me a screen. It doesn't change color or anything. This is a new laptop, so I don't believe it's a hardware failure. It's either malware or I'm just not doing right right combination of things to recover usability. Anyway, I have a big paperweight called a laptop right now, and it's essential that I get it working, as I need it. Help!

Hello Getoutandstayout and welcome back.

It sounds like a power issue if you are confident that it's not the motherboard. I'm assuming that you've discounted that it may be the mains socket that is faulty. :)

Try this:

  • remove battery, and disconnect mains adapter.
  • press and hold down only the power button for 30secs at least.
  • put the battery back.
  • plug in mains adapter, then try to start it up again. as normal.

If that doesn't work it may be your adapter. Have you a spare one you can try? If you don't have a spare one, try disconnectiong the adapter and try to boot using only the battery.

As this is not a malware issue I'm afraid that's as far as my knowledge goes therefore I would suggest you ask in our Windows forum.

Whatever happens, please let me know so that I can close this thread.

When your computer is up and running again, if you suspect malware feel free to start a new topic here.

Good luck

Satchfan

 

Did that. I hold down the power button - it doesn't stay lit; it blinks like it's been doing, then goes out after about four blinks. Battery in, battery out, plugged in, not plugged in, same difference. I don't think it's hardware. Like I said, it's only three months old and it was working fine yesterday when I closed it up. I thought about doing a system reset (by, from what I've read, holding down the zero and the power button simultaneously, but nothing changes). But it doesn't get me a boot or reset screen.

Apologies for the delay but for some reason I didn't receive notification of your reply.

 

I think the best idea is to do as I previously suggested and start a topic in the Windows forum as this is beyond my area of expertise. Hopefully the experts there can help and when it's up and running come back here and start a new topic.

 

Sorry I couln't be of more help.

 

Regards

 

Satchfan

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI