This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Connection problems

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have an Acer laptop with built-in wireless, a PC linked to a Dynalink RTA1025WE router, and an Amazon Kindle. The Kindle will connect to the Internet via the wireless link and I can, amongst other things, log into my Facebook account with it. The laptop will recognise the link to the PC but Windows Network Diagnostics say the connection is limited, and I can't access any other wireless-networked PC with it. The laptop does not recognise the Kindle. The Kindle does not recognise the laptop. I can connect the laptop to the PC via cable and have full access to shared files etc from either machine. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
As simple as it seems, this almost always caused from entering the wrong passphrase for the wireless network. You didn't mention what OS the Acer is running. Try disconnecting from the wireless network and re-connecting. Make sure you enter the correct passphrase. In order to be sure you know the correct passphrase, try disconnecting the Kindle from it and trying to re-connect after entering the passphrase. The kindle should reconnect if you entered the right passphrase.
Thanks appleoddity for the prompt reply. Desktop is XP SP3, laptop is Vista. Disconnected and reconnected Kindle ok. PW should therefore be assumed to be correct? Except that even with it, (and it says it is connected) it won't allow either MFirefox or IE8 to connect to the Internet. I remain mystified!
Some of your information is a bit confusing, and in fact, I misread it the first time around. Just the laptop is having the "Limited connectivity" issue? What are you doing to determine if one device "recognizes" the other? What machines are able to get on the internet? What do you mean you can connect the laptop to the PC via a cable? Are you using a crossover ethernet cable or something? Is the desktop also wireless?
Hi appleoddity. Sorry if my query is not clear. Equipment: 1. Desktop PC quad core duo running XP SP3, connected via ethernet cable to a Dynalink RTA1025WE wireless modem/router. The router is ADSL 2+ connected to Broadband. 2. Amazon Kindle with wireless capability. 3. Acer laptop running Vista, with built-in wirelss capability. PCA has no problems accessing the Internet via the router. Kindle will connect to Internet via router and download material from Amazon ok. It will also allow me to access, amongst other things, my Facebook account. The laptop can connect to the router via wireless (using the same password as the Kindle), but I can't get to either see or access the public folders of the desktop. Likewise, the PC cannot see the public or any other folders on the laptop, let alone see that the laptop is connected to a network. The laptop cannot connect to the Internet via wireless, with either MFirefox or IE8. If I connect the laptop and PC with an ethernet cable, shared files are accessible from either machine. The laptop can also then access the Internet normally. I hope this is clearer.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI