This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer not responding, please help!

20 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I don't even know what to do or where to begin. My computer has stopped responding, I'm running Windows 7. About a month ago our computer took over an hour to start up, we just kept seeing the four-coloured Windows logo in the middle of the black screen. Then it finally started and we were able to use it just fine. So I stopped turning it off each night, worried it wouldn't turn on again. Then for the last month it will sometimes work perfectly for some time, and then other times it will take a half hour to open an email or a webpage or an Excel spreadsheet. Now since last night it will sit on that Windows logo screen for hours and then the screen goes black and remains that way. I can't even start it up to run Spybot or any other virus scan. My Windows updates are up to date. I don't know what to do or what to try. When I turn on the computer it shows a screen that asks me to press F10 for set-up or F2 to continue. I've tried F10 but don't know what to do in there. F2 just takes me to the Starting Windows logo screen and stays there, I can see the logo pulsing as if it's working. Can someone please help me? I would be so greatful. Thank you! :o)

Hello gigglepot,

 

First a suggestion, try tapping the F8 key when you restart the computer to see if you can get into Safe Mode only (no networking).

 

Second, can you tell us as much information about the computer as you can, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build just say custom.

 

Third, can you tell us how much free storage space there was/is on the hard drive and has the hard drive been making any odd noises at all. 

Hello PhillPower2! I have a Compaq Presario CQ5000 Series desktop computer. I'm not sure how much free space I have but I don't think it would be full, we don't have a ton on it. How can I check if it ever comes back on again? No, no weird noises.

This morning I left the Starting Windows screen on for a few hours and when I came back to it, it was on the blue Welcome page with an icon in the middle labelled "Owner". So I clicked it and now it just says Welcome with the spinning circle showing it's doing something. Not sure how long I should let this go for, or if I should try shutting it down and trying F8 for Safe Mode.
Oh! Now I have a black screen with the following in the bottom right corner:

Windows 7
Build 7601
This copy of Windows is not genuine.

But this isn't possible. It's been a genuine copy all these years, it came preloaded on the computer when we bought it! Sigh…

Oh! Now I have a black screen with the following in the bottom right corner:

Windows 7
Build 7601
This copy of Windows is not genuine.

But this isn't possible. It's been a genuine copy all these years, it came preloaded on the computer when we bought it! Sigh…

 

Was this after a re start or a continuation of the previous Welcome with the spinning circle. 

It seems like something is really holding things up because it's been about half an hour and my desktop came up, my Weather App loaded but I can't do anything else, each command takes forever if at all. I can hear the computer making little noises as if it's trying to work!

Unfortunately you have no option other than to leave the computer to see if Windows finishes loading and becomes usable (possibly as long as all day or overnight) then look at troubleshooting, what you describe sounds like Windows updating  and possibly installing a bad update, if you were for example to hard shut down the computer it could potentially make matters worse. 

 

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page.  

Oh my goodness, the computer is working again! It hasn't worked in 3 days! Now how do I troubleshooting and fix or uninstall the Windows Update that might be causing all this trouble? Thank you.

Hopefully good news then  :thumbup:

 

If the computer is running stable I would suggest that you create a new system restore point asap, once done do the following;

 

Check to see what if any updates downloaded and either did or did not install while this problem was occurring.

 

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

If you have any data on the HDD that you need to back up do so asap and please do not shut down the computer until you have done so, the HDD info in Speccy suggests that it may not boot back up again.

 

Will come back to the updates if needs be but for now something more pressing, you have no active anti virus protecting your computer, bad idea, download MSE (free) from here allow it to fully update and carry out a full scan of your computer, this may take a while, in the meanwhile we will look at the rest of the Speccy report.  

 

Edit to add: At some point you have had Avast running on this computer but for some reason it is not anymore, use avastclear to get rid of any orphan files that may be left, please do this before installing MSE.

 

Windows Security Center
User Account Control (UAC): Enabled
Notify level: 2 - Default
Firewall: Disabled
Windows Update
AutoUpdate: Download Automatically and Notify Prior to Install No AV shown to be protecting your computer.
Windows Defender
Windows Defender: Enabled
 
Services
Running: AMD External Events Utility
Running: Application Experience
Running: Application Information
Running: Application Virtualization Service Agent
Running: aswbIDSAgent
Running: Avast Antivirus
 
Stopped: Malwarebytes Service
 
You also have Malwarebytes installed, this may have cancelled out Avast, in addition to using the avast removal tool you need to also use the Malwarebytes Clean Uninstall tool
 
Speccy is not showing any updates to have been installed only the one update that failed to install
 
Hotfixes
Installed
Not Installed
12/10/2017 Update for Microsoft Excel 2010 (KB4011617) 32-Bit Edition
 
Your HDD is showing issues.
 
S.M.A.R.T
Status: Bad
 
05
Attribute name: Reallocated Sectors Count
Real value: 121,309,199
Current: 1
Worst: 1
Threshold: 5
Raw Value: 00073B080F
Status: Bad

 

C5

Attribute name: Current Pending Sector Count
Real value: 190
Current: 100
Worst: 97
Threshold: 0
Raw Value: 00000000BE
Status: Warning

But I do have Avast running, I've been using it for years, when I click on Avast, it says "Avast is running, you are protected".  And the little orange icon keeps animating anytime I do something on the computer.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to also say, the error message of "the hard drive is failing" has been ongoing for a month now so I'm not sure what's going on with that.  But I did back everything up.  And about the updates, there are pages and pages of Windows updates that show up on "Installed Updates", so I'm pretty confused.

Polite reminder;

 

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page.  

 

 

 
But I do have Avast running, I've been using it for years, when I click on Avast, it says "Avast is running, you are protected".  And the little orange icon keeps animating anytime I do something on the computer.

 

 

That is as was suspected and why I post the following in my reply #12;
 
You also have Malwarebytes installed, this may have cancelled out Avast, in addition to using the avast removal tool you need to also use the Malwarebytes Clean Uninstall tool

 

 
Remove MBAM using the proper removal tool as it looks like it is interfering with Avast.
 
Mentioning the HDD error message from the outset would have been helpful but the advice only the same, back up asap which you have done so no problem there.
 
The updates not showing in Speccy is possibly down to the program not being able to read all of the data because the drive is flaky.
 
You need to replace the HDD asap but some preparation work needs to be done first.
 
Do you have Windows 7 media and the appropriate product key for it.
 
Do you have a USB thumb drive that you can save your drivers to for reinstalling after replacing the HDD.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI