This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

WLM will not install after installing windows

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I had to reinstall windows ultimate, due to being sold counterfeit software the first time round. I now have it installed and have used MS updates. All these went through, even though a few of them had to be redone 2 or 3 times before they actually installed. The programme I can't get to install is WLM. I had it installed before and exported my mail & settings etc to another hard drive before reinstalling windows. Tried installing WLM 3 times yesterday. Each time I got this error message: It looks like another programme is preventing the installer from working. Error: 0x80070643. Source: wllogin - i386. The help files said that windows firewall needed to be turned on to allow Windows Live Essentials to install. I tried this, still no luck. Tried it again this morning. This time I got the same error number, but the Source was PIMT. I found a link to OneCare Safety Scanner and ran it. I allowed it to fix anything it found. Then I downloaded and tried to install WLM again. This time I got this error: Trouble installing this required Installer. Installer Invalid advise flags Unknown Error hr:0x0040001. I'm really at my wits end trying to figure out where I'm going wrong. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley
Hello hedley93, Did you do a "clean" install? By that I mean, did you format the hard drive and re-install Windows from the new legitimate DVD? Cheers, Nahumi
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did a clean install from the new disc, formatting the drive first. I haven't installed any other programmes yet as I would like to get my email working first. I googled the error number and most of the results indicated that this error is potentially dangerous, seems to refer to rogue/missing files in the registry. After 6 or 7 articles I stopped reading as I didn't understand the explanations and didn't want to mess with my pc. I tried again and downloaded WLM from MS again and tried to install. I unticked every box except the mail as that is all I wanted. The installer started to load and a message came up that the following programmes were running and would have to be closed to avoid conflict with the install. dllhost.exe, WLIDSVCM.EXE, Windows Live ID Sign-in assistant, CNG Key Isolation, Security Accounts Manager, WLAN AutoConfig, Extensible Authentication Protocol, System Event Notification Service, Network Store Interface Service, Homegroup Provider, Network List Service, Network Location Awareness, Network Connections, Computer Browser, Workstation, IP Helper, DNS Client, Win HTTP, Web Proxy Auto Discovery Service, DHCP Client, Print Spooler. I clicked to let the programme close down the running programmes itself, but it still came up with the same error. I have absolutely no idea what any of these things refer to and no idea where to even start looking to close them down myself. Not a tech, I'm afraid. I restarted the pc thinking that would close all open/running programmes and then ran the install once again, but the list still showed up as programmes running. I restarted it again, still same result. Thanks for the help. hedley
Hmm, those applications and services are fairly important to the running of Windows. I have no idea why the WLM installer would ask for you to close them. Could you post the link of where you downloaded the installer?
Problem solved. I went to the site mentioned and instead of downloading the Live Essentials link I went further down the page to where they are listed separately and downloaded Mail from there. Worked first time. Thanks for your time and your help, much appreciated, as always hedley

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI