This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Update Fails

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

About 2 weeks ago I went to the windows update site and tried to install any new updates that were available. It said there were 4. I selected them and hit install. It downloaded all the files but then it failed when it tried to install. Now when I try, I don't get the updates but I get the microsoft validation tool and it fails also on install. I was able to install SP2 and a few other updates about 2 weeks or so before and I haven't installed anything new on my computer since. I contacted Microsoft and they went thru a number of different possible solutions including registering my dlls, renaming a few different folder (catroot and softwaredistributiion), and removing any anti-virus or spyware tools. None of them worked. When I tried to register the dll's, I did get an error message saying something like - loadlibrary ("msjava.dll")…. The only solution left was to use the windows disc to repair the files. The problem is I don't have the disc. I had bought my computer from my last job and they still have the disc as it was a corporate license. Is there anything I can do? Here is the top of my log file: Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 2:58:24 PM, on 8/6/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Hello and welcome to the forums. Sorry for the delay in responding, but we have been pretty busy here lately. Since your log might have changed since your last posting, I would like to see a new log. If you could please post a new log, I will be glad to review it.
I can't complain since you guys are helping me with my problems for free. I am very appreciative of your help.

Here is my newest log file:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:47:42 PM, on 8/17/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Trillian\trillian.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.espn.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - Startup: Trillian.lnk = C:\Program Files\Trillian\trillian.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Software Installer - {D1A4DEBD-C2EE-449f-B9FB-E8409F9A0BC5} - C:\Program Files\Lenovo\PkgMgr\\PkgMgr.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: IBM PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
O23 - Service: QCONSVC - IBM Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
O23 - Service: IBM KCU Service (TpKmpSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSVC.exe
If I can get the disc, would you be able to help me fix this problem? One of my main concerns with using the disc is that i don't want to lose my files, programs and other stuff. But I may be able to get the disc if I can get in contact with the IT guy.
I don't think I will be able to get the disc. The IT guy supposedly moved to another state after our company closed. Is there any way to solve the problems without the disc? What do you think the problems actually are?
Well, I was looking at possibly something related to system files that might need to be replaced. I don't see anything in your log that would be causing a problem.
Is there any way to fix the problem without the CD? I have been trying to get in touch with him to send me a copy, but have had absolutely no luck.
There might be, but I am not sure how to further troubleshoot this. Your log does not indicate anything that would be causing your problem. If it is spyware related, I can help, otherwise I don't have any further steps for you.
I have no clue if it is spyware related or not. I really don't know what happened to cause this. I have adaware and spybot on this computer. But they never find anything deemed serious. I downloaded a few different virus scans and they never found anything. So maybe it is just a regular computer problem. It is odd though because it not only happened to my laptop, but also my home pc.
Sorry, I don't have any further ideas for you. I have seen many computer unable to update for no apparent reason and I have yet to see a good answer for any of them!
Thanks for your help. The most obvious answer is that Windows is just a crappy, buggy OS. Too bad I am too lazy to learn to use an Apple.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI