1. Since downloading a virus detection program in July, I had been unable to update my MS Windows, perform Security Updates, or Upload Windows Defender updates. Program was uninstalled, but problem remained. Several attempts to resolve installation failures were unsuccessful (via MS Tech Help) – until now, of course.
2. Error code for all Installation Failures: 0x80246008
3. Troubleshooting section at the MS website led me to discover the problem via:
Start > Run > Type in: services.msc
Right Click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Click on Properties
Service Status = STOPPED
Could not click on START
4. When I tried to click on START in the BITS properties, I received this error message:
"Could not start the BAckground Intelligent Transfer Service service on locl computer.
Error 126: The specified module could not be found."
The resolution to this problem came from tech help (MS Windows website) – I'll quote from the tech's email (below).
Please note - the first suggested step worked for me immediately.
———————————————————- *From MS Windows Tech Help:
From your description, I understand that the computer failed to install updates with the error code 0x80246008 and when starting the BITS, the error 126 occurred. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.
I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.
Since the situation, it's recommended we follow the steps below to fix BITS and then try to install updates again.
1. Click Start, and click Run
2. Enter the following command, and press Enter
The problem with the MS Troubleshooting section , is that when you run a search on your error code, you get an endless list of threads (from their forum) or from MS articles, self-help steps, etc.
I NEVER found this page, if you can believe it, after months of trying every fix option, one at a time – then resorting to tech help… and even then, after sending them ALL sorts of stuff from my computer (logfiles, etc), they still didn't understand what the problem was. It was crazy. I finally got tired of trying — but knew I had to resolve it FAST, so got down to business with it a few days ago.
Honestly, you can spend HOURS searching MS website using the error number as the keyword… Had I seen this in July, I would have been one happy girl.
Thanks for posting that!
~Kim
(picking my pride up off the floor)….. sometimes, when you're so flustered and ticked off… you can't see the forest through the trees.
I missed that one.
In fact, I only used the yahoo search… how bad is THAT!
I have an inch high stack of error code fixes that I printed from the internet (MS website, forums, etc)… but did not come across
this one. I swear! LOL!!
Needless to say, I will not be a WTT student anytime soon – just a donor.
I know this is an old topic, but THANK YOU!! and yes I'm yelling that because this answer fixed my laptop in 10 min, and that's using a dial-up connection. I got it back from a tech this afternoon, "fixed", and found the same problem was still there. I'd searched all the error codes, tried the MS Fixits, tried re-registering BITS, reinstalling the file from disc, re-installing the update agent, this was the fix. Really appreciated - Rebecca
1. Since downloading a virus detection program in July, I had been unable to update my MS Windows, perform Security Updates, or Upload Windows Defender updates. Program was uninstalled, but problem remained. Several attempts to resolve installation failures were unsuccessful (via MS Tech Help) – until now, of course.
2. Error code for all Installation Failures: 0x80246008
3. Troubleshooting section at the MS website led me to discover the problem via:
Start > Run > Type in: services.msc
Right Click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Click on Properties
Service Status = STOPPED
Could not click on START
4. When I tried to click on START in the BITS properties, I received this error message:
"Could not start the BAckground Intelligent Transfer Service service on locl computer.
Error 126: The specified module could not be found."
The resolution to this problem came from tech help (MS Windows website) – I'll quote from the tech's email (below).
Please note - the first suggested step worked for me immediately.
———————————————————- *From MS Windows Tech Help:
From your description, I understand that the computer failed to install updates with the error code 0x80246008 and when starting the BITS, the error 126 occurred. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.
I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.
Since the situation, it's recommended we follow the steps below to fix BITS and then try to install updates again.
1. Click Start, and click Run
2. Enter the following command, and press Enter
This was the fix for my fresh install thanks so much
And i have tried it on a box that's running Xp sp3 for some time and it has given me a BITF error 1290; ox50a I have been going all over Google and it has lead me to this wonderful site just need little point in the right direction. Thanks Greenguru
PS. I can manually do the update on xp, except Microsoft Security Essentials
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI