This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Need some additional advice/help

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have recently been help by the Maware team… They say they have a clean machine but Say I have some issues still. So they sent me here. Here is my original post with OTL log fileHere . Some issues I am having now. The computer shuts down out of the blue, It also doesn't recognize the monitor any longer. It says it is a generic plug and play so my resolution is shot. Is it fixable or should I just start over? That is the question.

I would appreciate any help moving forward.
Hi ROOFIE(MTL),

From your log work with TomK, we know:

Your machine is Desktop Workstation, running Windows XP Pro SP3

Event Viewer has thrown a variety of Errors, pointing at HD File Structure, RAM Memory, video adapter, and possibly other Drivers.

From your description, we know that you have replaced your RAM Memory and your Power Supply Unit.
We also know that you've run CHKDSK and discovered no HD File Structure faults.

We know that you are having difficulty with Screen Resolution on your NEC monitor
__________________

What we need to know is:

Brand, Model, Model Number of machine.
____________________

We also need to get a better look at the machine's configuration and performance.

A good way to get an overview of the machine is to Run the PCPitstop OverDrive full Tests.

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. At WTT we prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards
Since you were inside your machine to replace PSU and RAM, can we presume that you also checked to assure that the Fans were running vigorously?

Did you inspect for Dust and Debris in the Heatsink fins and air intake/exhaust areas?

Did you inspect the plug connections of the various components.

Did you inspect for bulging or leaking capacitors?

Did you inspect for any discoloration of the Motherboard?
__________________

Even if the result of the above list of inspections is Positive (good), the machine may still be having a HEAT related problem.

Download, install, and Run SpeedFan.
Download from here: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Then post the temperature results in your next reply, along with a link to the PCPitstop OverDrive Full Tests.

Best Regards
http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=24117540

There is Pitstop results.

I am aware of this website and have used it in the past to tweak my settings. I am not sure why my PC is not recognizing my Monitor after all these years. I thought it was DVI Cord problem but I just replaced them and nothing changed. I should be able to view 1680x1050 @60hz, but it just wont recognise the monitor. Maybe my Vid card is shot? There is a analog hookup as well maybe try that?

Thanks for the help guys. Awaiting instruction

Attached is the Speedfan results. I guess my graphics card runs hot as hell!! GEEZ!!! Not sure how to increase fan speed or use this tool Though. Seems as though my GPU fan isn't spinning like it should. I wonder if these fans are replaceable for the old AGP cards? Where would you find one at that? Really don't need Top notch for this rig.

Attachments:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=24117540

There is Pitstop results.

I am aware of this website and have used it in the past to tweak my settings. I am not sure why my PC is not recognizing my Monitor after all these years. I thought it was DVI Cord problem but I just replaced them and nothing changed. I should be able to view 1680x1050 @60hz, but it just wont recognise the monitor. Maybe my Vid card is shot? There is a analog hookup as well maybe try that?

Thanks for the help guys. Awaiting instruction

Attached is the Speedfan results. I guess my graphics card runs hot as hell!! GEEZ!!! Not sure how to increase fan speed or use this tool Though. Seems as though my GPU fan isn't spinning like it should. I wonder if these fans are replaceable for the old AGP cards? Where would you find one at that? Really don't need Top notch for this rig.


Hate to step in here, but Doug may have better options, the heat readings of that GPU is high. Now if you want to try this on your Video card, take a close look at it, in past problems with speeds on the fan I have found lint, hairs and dust built up inside the fan causing it to slow down. Use a flashlight to see and also it would not hurt if you had you a can of air the kind you can by from PC shops or stores that sell them to blow out real good after inspecting or cleaning out dust and what not.

Once done start up and run the fan heat test again to see if any differance.

Jimbo1
Just to add a little to Jimbo1's post. This may or may not have something to do with the high GPU temps. Just about all VC's during factory assembly, often have atrociously applied paste and of very poor quality.My last card's heatsink only had paste on one corner of the mating surface. When new, I take off the heat-sink and correctly apply some quality thermal paste. Doing this to a new or old card can reduce temps. up to 15 degrees. It's an easy process and 'step-by-step' is readily available on the net. Cheers, Lee
Hey Roofie,

here's how your Monitor is being identified by your machine, according to PCPitstop Overdrive:

Monitor Model NEC 104004
Monitor Resolution 1600 x 1200 pixels
Monitor Screen Size 16.8 x 10.5 inches
19.8 inches (diagonal)
Monitor Manufacture Date March 2006
Monitor Serial Number 16843009


And your nVidia GeForce 6600 is delivering decent resolution:

2D Video Benchmark Video 206.76 MP/s Pass
3D Video Benchmark Video 525 fps


Is the on-screen problem constant or intermittent?

Both Jimbo1 and Lee are correct, that your GPU temp is "high".
But it wouldn't be much out of ordinary for "heavy load" as in high demand gaming or intensive graphics editing.

Still, a GPU temp of 70° C, when only running the PCPitstop Full Test, is "too high".

Inspect the card carefully.
Attend to issues recommended by Jimbo1 and Lee
Also inspect for bulging/leaking capacitors

Remove the Card from the machine for inspection.
Examine the gold contacts (clean (with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol and q-tip) if discolored or otherwise necessary)
Examine the slot module into which the AGP is installed.
I do not recommend that you use any object, nor solution to attempt to clean slot module.
Blow it out with canned air instead.
Inspect it carefully, (use a magnifying glass)
Report back if contacts are discolored or debris is built up.

After you have reinstalled the GPU, leave the case side panel off/open so that you can inspect the fans when you power-up.
All should spin vigorously, with no noise, rattle, or wabble.
___________________

There are other issues to be recommended from your PCPitstop OverDrive Test
We can get to them, after resolving the Graphics issue.
I have not had the time to address any issues. I will post again this weekend. I do appreciate all the help and hope we can fix this. Together with your help we will. Thanks again.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI