This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Problems after killing Malware

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Dear Experts,

Thanks a lot for your malware teams help! It made my computer run faster than before :D.
But there are some problems that appeared after the cleaning process.

Here is the link to the post: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Help_deletin…re_t100564.html

The problem now appears that the computer only shows my floppy disk drive, and the 2 hard drive ( which is partitioned)

The auto run system works when i plug in my external hard drive. But usually, under the floppy disk section, i have like 4
more slots, which i think belongs to my card reader USB that is already inputed inside my computer.

I get yellow exclamation marks under 3 drives (which i only have 2 CD roms…, another one has strange names, i wonder if it has something to do with Daemon lite?)
Of the 2 i recognize, their definition says that they have the appropriate driver, but didn't get connected to the hardware

Also, (well it's sorta software problem…), when i roll my mouse over, it usually give me it's name, size, and other info,
now it only gives me the name of the program, what should i do to get those description back?

Please help!!! Thanks in advance.

(Attachment of how "My computer" and "Hardware list" looks like currently)
First off is your computer language Chinese or Japanese? Pardon I can not differentiate. Or is this also part of the problem? The best source for drive info within XP is Disk Management. Right click My Computer then click Manage then Disk Management. How do your drives show there? ………………… There is also the option to right click under Device Manager and choose uninstall. Upon reboot XP should reinstall and load the needed drivers.
My XP version is in Traditional Chinese. I am actually only having problem with the computer reading my CD-rom, as it disappear from inside "My computer" I tried to uninstall the CD-rom from the "Device Manager", then let my computer restart. If this problem requires reboot… then i might wanna try it later.
Wait.. just to clarify… (sorry, i am computer noob… @_@) Reboot means to reinstall the whole XP system or like set it back to original using the norton ghost i have inside my computer that brings it back to teh normal setting when I bought this computer, right? Also, my computer says that i have the driver for the CD-rom, but just can't detect the hardware. I made sure that i plug it in also… so i don't get why it doens't detect it. I think the lines are ok… and working…

Wait.. just to clarify… (sorry, i am computer noob… @_@)

Reboot means to reinstall the whole XP system or like set it back to original using the norton ghost i have inside my computer
that brings it back to teh normal setting when I bought this computer, right?


No. It just mean you turn off the computer, so you can start it again. Thats a reboot, the other thing you mention is to
install your operating system anew and / or use a backup Image to do so. Which is certainly not required ;)

Did you look at the link provided by jephree? Try that before we go ahead doing anything else.

Regards
Thanks Abydos! As noted "rebooting" is simply "restarting".

If you uninstall a DVD/CD drive then restart it forces XP to re-detect it and reload the drivers.

As to the Microsoft link here is a simpler version that I should have posted:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us

This resolves issues where some third party burning software might have set filters that prevents XP from detecting DVD/CD drives.
OMG… Thanks a lot for your help!!! :woot: Sorry that I took so long to reply… I have a busy week … The CD-ROM finally pop up!!!! I wonder if i can get help for the smart card slots, which is like inside my ourter case of my computer that includes different memory stick / usb slots for reading different sizes of memory cards. Or it doesn't matter? Since i am not sure whether it will come up if I plug in a memory card (like SD card)… But i know that my computer responses to flash drives and hard drives, and it does the "autorun" thing also. Thank a lot again for your help!!!!!
Cool. Glad it worked. As to the card reader it will only show up if you have a card or device inserted. An empty slot will show nothing. Let us know if we can help or clarify further.
I think i am all good, cuz i just want the computer to show them, but i think it would work fine,
plus i don't really use them a lot anyway.

Thank you so much! jephree & Abydos for all the help you gave me!!! i finally get both my virus and computer back to nomal :lol:

Thanks!! :notworthy:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI