This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Audio Interference

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey guys, It's only just occurred to me that I've been having a problem with all my computers for years. It also seems to be a problem that a lot of people experience, and as far as I can tell no-one has come up with a definitive answer or explanation. Essentially the problem is that every time I move my mouse, or use the scroll wheel, my speakers emit a very faint hum, vibration, buzz or noise. The pitch and frequency of the noise depends on what I'm doing. Usually if I use my desktop speakers, I can't really notice it, but if I plug my headphones into the front audio jack, it becomes very noticeable. The noise also keeps emitting regardless of volume settings on the computer. There are a lot of theories and "fixes" out there, ranging from turning the CD Audio and Line In down, rearranging the speakers wires and reinstalling audio drivers to grounding the computer case and replacing the in-built audio chip with a fully fledged audio card. One of the most prevalent theories is that somehow the signal from the mouse is interfering with the signal to the speakers. Or that somehow the graphics card is involved… Now, like I said at the beginning, I've always had this buzz. Ever since I started using computers back in the mid 90's, I've remembered this buzz and I always put it down to "one of those silly things". So, considering that this forum has some of the smartest and able technicians, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this and how they managed to fix it? If anything, it would be a good idea to try and answer all the hundreds of obscure posts on the internet about this particular problem. Thanks in advance, Nahumi
i think it's usually caused my electromagnetic interference and is something that can be very hard to diagnose but sometimes it's just a case of moving something further away. i'll let you google electromagnetic interference and pc's tho. :D :popcorn: forgot about radio interference too but don't think that's as common as emi.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI