Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

PFN_LIST_Corrupt/ Blue screen error during WindowsXP installation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mordimier

Mordimier

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:59 AM

I am fixing/building a custom built computer. I have installed in it: -Pentium 4 1.5Ghz -Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST380215A 80GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive -MS-6547 Vers:2.1 MSI motherboard -SONY CD/DVD-ROM drive I tried installing windows xp with sp2 and received an error during the windows installation screen after reformatting the hard drive that was a blue screen error that said: A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. PFN_LIST_CORRUPT If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need. If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode. The hard drive is brand new and would be surprised if it's corrupted already. I have a hunch it may be the memory. I have 3 slots of 1GB each, the ram is Kingston valueram kvr333x64c25k2/1g. I am in the process of deleting, creating a new partition and installing windows again. I also took out one memory stick to test if any of the sticks are bad.
It's not the destination but the journey itself.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

Hi , it sounds like you are doing the right things. When face by this sort of problem in the workshop (when also the machine sometimes arrives with several pieces in a cardboard box that the owner has bought or otherwise acquired, but not yet fitted....) I firstly very quickly set it up, set the BIOS to default/safe but with boot priority set as 1 optical drive CD/DVD and then 2 harddrive, and then boot from a live distro of linux.... Puppy or Ubuntu...this will very quickly tell me if there is a hardware problem or if (for example) my suspicions should be focussed on the XP install disc.. (they can have errors) When installing Windows I usually use my own "workshop discs" that are known to be good) Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

Because you are receiving the Error Warning very early in the sequence (during intensive read/write involved when installing OS) it is most likely a hardware related problem, just as you have suggested.

The most likely culprit is one or more of your 3 RAM sticks - or the modules into which they are seated.
Physical inspection and re-seating of RAM should be your first step.

Note: Be sure you observe Static Precautions. If you are not familiar with Static Precautions, please read Digerati's excellent review titled: Maintenance safety, Cleaning and ESD Please read the entire article and observe the cautions.

While you are inspecting the RAM, take the opportunity to inspect all of your other connections and components to assure that all are correctly seated and firmly connected.
Also look for leaky or bulging capacitors. Capacitors and other electronic components of the motherboard and cards are usually lined up neatly, but may be slightly askew without problem. Still have a look. Capacitors are the most likely to develop problems and most obvious with bulging discoloration and/or leaking. But look for any other discolouration that suggests heat/burning. Plus all the fans should run vigorously. (you can power-on with the case side open to briefly inspect for fan function.)

Appleoddity provides a great guide for checking RAM with Windows Memory Diagnotists.

Let us know how things work out for your machine.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.