This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Connection Issues and possiblity of Malware

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I am trying to fix my mother's computer. It is a Dell Optiplex GX280. She previously bought this computer at a computer fair so I was expecting to come across some possible issues with it. She was having connectivity issues where her wired connection would just idle while not showing at the connection icon it went out, still acted as if it were connected. I believe it has something to do with her e-mail service with yahoo. She tells me she receives many many anonymous e-mails that potentially could have viruses in them. She sends resumes out on the web to sites like careerbuilder.com or monster.com, so it felt like it would be a strong possibility that she may have gotten infected through her e-mail. I told her to create a new e-mail account and try not to use the yahoo e-mail. For the meantime, I wiped the computer clean because I could not figure out how to fix it without having any internet connection on her machine. I installed Spybot Search and Destroy and it seems to keep finding more malware, even after I reformatted her hard drive. I also have AVG anti virus installed as well and it doesn't really seem to find too much, even though I'm pretty sure her machine has something embedded in it, possibly a root kit. I was anticipating having to use ComboFix or OTL, but I wanted to get a second opinion before I do this. Any thoughts? Please, they would be greatly appreciated on this issue.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI