This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

USB Stick Not Working

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Had to ask this question before I chunk this drive into the trash. Many months back was at a local repair shop and they had a lot of USB drive, named Impact or made by lextor cheap, the guy was selling the 2 gig sticks at a low price so I bought a lot of them. I gave a lot of them away to members of the church and kept a few for me. Any how I had the last one still in the package and open it up because this young lad in church needed one because they are really poor and do not have the money to get one right now. But when I hooked it up to my computer you hear the sound like xp is detecting the drive but you cannot see the drive in windows explorer, so is the drive dead or bad ? I tryed getting add new hardware to look for any new device but it does not see any, I tryed this on a vista machine and Win 7 same results. Jimbo1
Sounds like a bad stick, more so if it was sealed, but go into the admin tools section of the control panel, open computer management and click on drive management on the left, see if that can see it, if it can see if you can format it from there (I think fat is the best option), because if a stick\drive isn't formatted the system wont see it until done, but if it wont format it, or worse even see it, then it sounds like it's gone to the great chip in the sky lol (sorry couldn't resist), hope it helps.

Sounds like a bad stick, more so if it was sealed, but go into the admin tools section of the control panel, open computer management and click on drive management on the left, see if that can see it, if it can see if you can format it from there (I think fat is the best option), because if a stick\drive isn't formatted the system wont see it until done, but if it wont format it, or worse even see it, then it sounds like it's gone to the great chip in the sky lol (sorry couldn't resist), hope it helps.


Never mind Running windows XP, but found it its under Disk Management. Disk Management saw it and formatted it and working ok. Thanks

Jimbo1
Great news then, but unusual for it not to be ready to go from the pack, but it was the only legit reason I could think of for windows not to see it when there is nothing wrong with it, result.

Great news then, but unusual for it not to be ready to go from the pack, but it was the only legit reason I could think of for windows not to see it when there is nothing wrong with it, result.


Aye it was sealed in its pack, but its been sitting on my shelf for about 9 months and no telling how long at that other shop, this is why I have to ask because when xp was making the sound like it was seeing the drive but now showing in explorer, I was hummm brand new stick bad how could that be. :huh: who knows.

When ever I go to store sales or computer shops I see these little 2 gig sticks for under 10 buck I buy a lot of them to have here or give away to members of the church.

Jimbo1

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI