This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Webcam not detected

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi I have a Toshiba Satellite A305-S6825 laptop with a built in camera. Initially it worked fine…I used it with Skype, but now it doesn't get detected. I get the message 'Webcam Driver Open Fail. Please restart camera or computer'. I attempted to restart the camera, but it has disappeared from the device manager.Nothing happens if I restart windows.Please help me restore my cam. I have Windows Vista Home premium SP2 32 bit.
Hi, Soirry to hear of the webcam problem
It looks like a driver error……
In the first instance try using System Restore to set your computer back in time to a few days before the problem started….. if you are not absolutely sure err on the side of caution and set it back to an earlier restore point made when you are sure it was working OK
Here's how to do it:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows…asked-questions
Regards
paws
Hi Paws, (Sorry about the late reply) I did try system restore from the link you posted, but it doesn't seem to help, I still have the same problem :( Please help!
Hi Ok,
it looks like you have a lot of reading to do and also a fair bit of work!
Start here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/toshiba/14…a-computer.html
and follow each of the steps outlined.
keep a log of each step and the output/error codes you received (paper and pencil is fine) but make sure everything is written down including the complete messages received…don't leave anything out…(its tedious but necessary) take screen shots for your logs as we may need botth the outputs you received and your log entries if the above steps still fail to get it to work.
Good luck
regards
paws
Hi
Okay I did all that but still nothing…
The following is my set of notes for it:

1.Try uninstalling the

webcam driver then

reinstall it.

I need to find it

first to uninstall

it.It is not

there…has completely

disappeared.

___
2.turning the User

Account Control off,

then going into the

device manager,

locating Imaging

devices>USB imaging

device>Updating driver

. .

In the device manager

there is nothing like

imaging devices even

when I check 'show

hidden devices'

___
3.start ‘Camera

Assistant

Software.There you can

find option ‘Start

webcam’. When you do

this the blue led will

be ON.

I have the software

open, but if I click

anything in it I get

the error 'webcam open

driver fail.please

restart camera or

computer'

___
4.Check the Blue Led

if its 'ON' , this

indicates that the

camera is working

The light is not

turning on.

___
5.Other programs

already using the

device?

Solution: There might

be some programs that

is already attached

with the device. To

deactivate them, run

msconfig by going to

accessories and then

run. Then under the

tab labeled "Services"

check the box that

says "Hide all

Microsoft services"

and then click on

disable all. Next,

under the tab that

says "Systems" click

on disable all and

press ok. You should

then be asked to

restart so press ok

and once the computer

is back up try with

your messenger

software and it should

work.


Did it. Dint work.I

get the error 'webcam

open driver

fail.please restart

camera or computer'


___
6.Uninstall/Reinstall

Instructions;
-double-click on the

camera/imaging device

which has a flag under

"Other Devices" in

device manager

There is no

camera/imaging device

under anything in the

device manager.

_____


Attached image of error screen. [external image: Posted Image]


Additional images: Errors that I got a few weeks ago, when this problem began.
[external image: Posted Image]

[external image: Posted Image]
Ok, this is not looking too good…..before you spend £3 or so GBP or say $4.50 (USD) on a new webcam (USB) it might be worth while trying a few other more distant system restore points to see if one of them will do the trick.

I did try system restore from the link you posted, but it doesn't seem to help, I still have the same problem

Regards
paws
My computer doesn't have a lot of restore points that go too far back in time.What I used was the most distant one. If I were techie enough to create more or farther back ones I wouldn't be asking for help here.I obviously tried everything else before posting up here but just so you wanted, for your being able to diagnose the problem I repeated those steps and took notes/screenshots which I have already mentioned that the camera has disappeared from device manager.Well anyways thank you for investing your time.I was not aware of webcams available for as little as $4.50.I will search for it and buy a new one.Rather not take up the precious time here. I would have appreciated it though if your reply was more 'sincere and direct'. Regards aaasfh.

My computer doesn't have a lot of restore points that go too far back in time.What I used was the most distant one. If I were techie enough to create more or farther back ones I wouldn't be asking for help here.I obviously tried everything else before posting up here but just so you wanted, for your being able to diagnose the problem I repeated those steps and took notes/screenshots which I have already mentioned that the camera has disappeared from device manager.Well anyways thank you for investing your time.I was not aware of webcams available for as little as $4.50.I will search for it and buy a new one.Rather not take up the precious time here. I would have appreciated it though if your reply was more 'sincere and direct'.



Regards
aaasfh.


Hi aaasfh,

I doubt that Paws believes that a good quality Webcams can be purchased for such a low price.
Though there are currently a variety of $20.00- $30.00 priced Webcams available at clearance prices under $10.00
_______________-

I also don't think he meant to be insincere.
Rather, I imagine he was hoping that your machine did list a Restore Point further back than the one you've already tried.
Apparently not. :(

Nor do I imagine that Paws or other Techs will simply drop their interest in this topic.
Rather, if/when someone does have a solution to offer, they will post.

Best Regards
@aaafsh Doug is quite right, there was and is, no intention on my part to come across as "insincere" or "indirect" I have reread my previous post with as critical eye as possible, and can find no trace or inference, of any insincerity, or lack of directness. American is not my first language, and if you detected insincerity or lack of directness in my words, then I can only say to you, I am sorry…it was not intended. Rather than spending money on purchasing a USB type web cam I suggested using the other System Restore Points that may be on your machine, as one of them might solve the problem for you. (My reading of your topic indicated to me that you might have only tried one system restore point rather than them all.) It is not generally possible to create a system restore points of anything other than the currect set up. That is to say it's not feasible to create a new restore point based upon the Registry as it was some time ago. Having followed all the steps in the post that I linked to previously, and also checking the system restore points for efficacy, you have spent considerable time and effort in trying to remedy the problem, but, sadly without success. There are a number of other steps we could suggest you consider taking, but they will increase further the time and effort you have already spent.. examples: 1 Reinstalling all chipset, mainboard, video/audio and webcam drivers from Toshiba or your original discs (if available) 2 Using a back up of your Registry (that you may have made previously, as part of your regular back up routine) using a tool such as Erunt. 3 Running a utility like Belarc Adviser, Everest, SIW, Speccy or a PCPitstop Overdrive full test, to see if any of these utilities will "see "your computer's inbuilt Webcam. etc etc. 4 Using a live Linux distro, Ubuntu or Suse or Puppy (or one of the others) to try and establish if it's the camera or its circuitry that has failed or if its a software (driver type) issue. 5 Trying a parallel install of Windows and using the latest (or original drivers from Toshiba) 6 Reimaging your system from a disc image kept safe on removable media and made at a time when your computer was running fast and sweet and with no problems or issues arising, either with the webcam, or anything else, Compared with the above, a timely and cost effective workaround might be the purchase of an external web cam (USB) for a few pounds or dollars… the web cam attached to the machine I am using this morning is servicable and of adequate quality and cost the equivalant of less than $5 (USD) It's fine for general use. (its performance is similar to the inbuilt webcam on your Toshiba) but if specialist high quality imaging is required then a high quality web cam at a higher price may be called for. I hope you will find these thoughts helpful, as that was and is my goal in responding to your problems with the web cam. Regards paws
Hi doug, Paws I do think there was a misunderstanding. I am sorry too. I shoud have been more clear in describing the steps I took. I appreciate your suggesting me a number of other steps to remedy the problem, as the webcam seems to have gone beyond repair(I did try the Toshiba CD but it was no use :( ) What I did realize is that I could prevent something like this from happening in the future.In step 2 you have mentioned taking backup of registry and a tool called Erunt.Where can I get it and is it free?Is it the same as creating system restore points or snapshots? And how do I make a disc image? I think I'll have to simply buy a new webcam and would appreciate any clearance or sales info/link.I do not need any high quality imaging. Anything similar to the inbuilt webcam would do, I would only need a good light sensor so I wouldn't have to switch on a dozen lights to use it. I do apologize again for overreacting. Regards aaasfh
Hi
Thanks for the link, it looks good for my use and I dont need an expensive or high quality one. I have completely given up on my inbuilt webcam anyway.(just want to hide/remove the annoying camera assistant too…it keeps giving too many error messages without my using it).

Before ordering however I checked at my local Best Buy and they had one on sale for $19.99
[external image: Posted Image]


And since I had just only got a gift certificate ($10) from best buy (they send some certificate every couple of years or so if you're a member or buy often or something), so I went ahead and bought that one.Well ,and the good part was they had a deal on these earplugs, if you buy a webcam you could get one of these for free.
[external image: Posted Image]


Well thanks for all your help and wish you a Merry Christmas!


Regards
aaasfh

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI