This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

User profile issues.

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Pacer, When responding to Digerati's post can you also advise please if (as is shown in your WTT profile) you are concerned here with a computer running Win ME? If you were running XP Professional for example then we could probably remove the "Limit Profile Size" via Group Policy Editor… Regards paws
The message box is headed with Profile Storage Space, it prompts me to delete files in order to meet size limit than it proceeds to list the files from largest to smallest and yes this computer is using Windows ME.
Have you scanned for malware as Digerati enquired? Please also supply a list of the files it is suggesting you delete together with file size; it will be appreciated (and help us to help you) If there are a large number then decimate them and from the total just list the first 10 of the files thus decimated. in the meantime I will set up a test box, install Win ME on it and try to recreate the error you are getting…. and then try to create a fix….. might take me a day or so so don't hold your breath! I await the list and the answer re the malware scan. Regards paws
I have not scanned for any malware. The source of the largest files is in My Documents. These files all contain downloaded music. Here are the sizes of the top ten, all in KB's : 252854, 198459, 171376, 170365, 169921, 169123, 169048, 168556, 167033 and 163460. For reference, the actually line looks like this Application Data\Sun\Java\ Deployment\cache\ 1315KB
Hi Pacer,
I have set up a Win Me box and tried to replicate the error , but with no luck…. :(
I think the next step may be to run your anti virus scanner (with updated definitions) and see if anything shows…if it does then its best to to let the professional take a look by visiting the Virus and Spyware removal forum:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=106388
Once you post your logs over there its important that no changes are made to your computer unless directed by the experts over on the Virus and Spyware removal forum,
As you know Win ME is an older operating system no longer supported by security or other patches from Microsoft and now difficult to use safely and without risk of infection, due to its vulnerabilities….

Here is a link to a Java issue that may be relevant to you
http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-9…che/162436.html
Please advise the file names of the files you listed.
Are you now or have you ever used P2P file sharing applications on your computer? (Utorrent, Limewire and similar)
Were the files you downloaded OK from a copyright point of view, and with undoubted 100% provenance?
Regards
paws
The names of the files I listed were all music files found in My Documents. I have used Ares P2P. That would be a no the copyright question. I will read over the Java article and prepare to post the log results. Thanks.

I have used Ares P2P. That would be a no the copyright question.

In that case, delete all the downloaded files of less than 100% certain provenance, uninstall Ares and or any other file P2P filesharing applications, empty the Recycle Bin. do a disc clean up and reboot and see if this does the trick.
Report back when you have done this..
Regards
paws
Win ME was fitted with the very useful System Restore facility that has proved so popular in more recent Operating Ssytems Try using a System Restore Point created before the problem arose. If still no joy then its time to dig out your disk image and reimage your system so its all working fast and sweet again. Regards paws
No luck with the System Restore. I do have an update regarding the error message. " You have exceeded your profile storage space. Before you can log off, you need to move some items from your profile to network or local storage." I'm not sure if that helps or not.
Hi, it looks like you have some personalised and non standards settings in your Win ME…
Did the System Restore work Ok and set your machine back to a previous made restore point (even though it didn't fix the problem) or did the System Restore facility not function at all?

Bearing in mind a re-image of your hard drive will only take a few minutes this may be the way forward, to help you save a lot of time…. however if you don't want to do that just now then consider taking a look here;
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=156826#appliesto
However if you decide to go down this route then be sure to back up your Registry before you do anything at all..!
and if I was you I would take a further disc image and keep it safe on removable media, so at least you can put it back to your starting point… however as always, its your machine, so your call.
Regards
paws
The system restore did not work at all. I will review the latest article you recommended and go from there. I'm in the process of replacing this computer anyway so I'm not gonna beat a dead horse.Thanks for taking the time to respond and for all your help.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI