This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

computer is eating folder contents and freezing folders

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

This began about 6 or 7 days ago. I found empty folders on my desktop that used to contain files. I did not manually delete them. When I tried to open them I got a message saying "access denied" Nothing I could do solved it. I tried in safe mode. I ran a program called "delinvfile" A delete invalid files program. I ran Ad-aware and a few more malware and virus scanners, including Mcafee. All found small things. I Did a "Hijackthis" and Therock told me I looked clean and to post this problem to this forum. The computer still deletes folders, seemingly at random, and freezing the folder. I just tried to move (copy) an excel folder (with 2 files inside) to the "My Network Places" folder in order to move them to my laptop. Once inside the Network folder it was "emptied" and frozen and the original files were gone from the location where I did the original "copy". So I have lost those files completely and now have another stuck folder. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on in my machine? Thanks, Michaelws
Sometimes files become "lost" because the user is searching for an incorrect filename. No offense, it happens. Rarely, a virus can cause the loss of Data Files. (but you say TheRock gave you an all clear) More frequently an Operating System file has become corrupted or is missing completely. Run System File Checker Start - Run - (type) sfc /scannow Have your intallation CD handy in case SFC needs to get a fresh copy of an operating system file that needs to be replaced. Best Regards
no offense taken…but not the case in this scenario. I will try what you recommended. Thanks for the input. Not sure what you meant by (but you say TheRock gave you an all clear)…but it was his recommendation to post here as he said my log looked clean.
Sorry for the confusion,

..but it was his recommendation to post here as he said my log looked clean.


That's exactly what I meant.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI