This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Building My Own Gaming Computer

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Well, my Dell Optiplex 620 is a piece of junk and I'm looking to play some real PC games (Like Call of Duty: Black Ops). I've never built a computer before but I've been researching a lot lately. However I still need a ton of help, so I'm turning to you guys. Here's what I've compiled so far: 1.Processor Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7860 2.Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 3.Memory (RAM) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (newegg) (maybe I could get 2) 4.Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 5.Graphics Card HIS H587FN1GD Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card 6.Power Supply CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply 7.DVD Rom 8.Sound Card (optional) Creative 70SB073A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 9.Computer Case AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case 10. Operating System – Windows 7 64-bit Do I have all the parts I need in order to build the computer completely? Are all these parts compatible? Are there any other parts you guys recommend that I should get? Or can I get some cheaper items that are just as good as I put here? Sorry for all the questions, but I really do need some help. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes all the parts are compatible. yes that's all you'll need. just one suggestion tho, i think i'd save some money and use the motherboards onboard sound and forget about getting the sound card, if you find it's not good enough(which i doubt) for you, then you can always add the sound card later. :popcorn:
Okay I've researched and I think I've picked out the right components. However, I'm not 100% sure if they are 100% compatible. Can someone please help me out? I've done plenty of research, but I'm just not completely sure. Here are the parts: (remember to look for some newegg coupons online) 1.Processor Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7860 2. Motherboard BIOSTAR TPOWER i55 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard 3.Memory (RAM) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL 4.Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive WITH SSD: OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive 5.Graphics Card SAPPHIRE 100281SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity 6.Power Supply KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX / BTX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply 7.DVD Rom ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk – OEM 8. Computer Case AZZA Solano 1000 Black/Black Japanese SECC Steel/Metal mesh in front ATX Full Tower Computer Case COMBO with Windows 7 9. Operating System – Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM How does everything look? This is definitely pricey, so I have to make sure it's going to work before spending so much money. Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
again yes all will work together, even tho i preferred some of your choices in the first post, like psu and motherboard, adding the ssd though will be really noticed and is a good addition for a gaming pc. :thumbup: :popcorn:
usually better to get ram in matched sticks so if your intending to have 8gb and can afford it now then always buy an 8gb set instead of 4gb now and 4gb later. :popcorn:
I agree. and i beleive that would go for any hardware on your system, dont mix hardware. for example different drives, ram, cards…and I dont know about others on this site, but my personal opinion would be to get and AMD motherboard. I have had quite a bit of success on those.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI