This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Building my 1st system need opinions

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Building my first system just wanted to run this by others to see what the general opinion is. I had hoped to spend about $1000 but I went a little over that, no big deal I can live with that. The main uses of this system will be gaming, Internet general usage surfing, MP3’s, and forum browsing. But I do tend to open six or seven windows at a time when I surf. My parts list CASE – COOLER MASTER HAF 932 PSU – CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W MB – GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 CPU– AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz CPU Cooler- COOLER MASTER V8 RAM G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Video Card SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 HD Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB DVD Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B – OEM Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM Any thoughts??
You probably won't need 8 gigs for what you do. Just go with 4 and if you aren't satisfied you can always get more.

Also, excellent choice for the processor, motherboard, and video card. If you have a monitor less than 22" you won't need a graphics card of that power, though.


Actually, everything looks like an excellent system. However, you could save a few bucks by getting this processor instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819103680

Really up to you, quad cores aren't really utilized much nowadays.

The main uses of this system will be gaming, Internet general usage surfing, MP3’s, and forum browsing. But I do tend to open six or seven windows at a time when I surf.


Honestly, the one I linked could handle all of those things combined at once without a problem at all. in fact, my x2 7750 can as well but performance could be better with a phenom II x2 that I listed.


If you don't plan on using crossfire in the future (2nd matching video card working together), then get this motherboard to save you $60:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16813128392
It's basically the same thing with 1 PCI-Express video card slot instead of 2. The chipsets are different but I highly doubt that will have any effect on you unless you plan on doing a lot of overclocking.

I keep editing this post, but I want to add that you won't need a retail CPU cooler unless you plan on doing a serious overclock. Both the one you linked and the one I linked come with a cooler and you can even overclock with the stock cooler a bit.



Hopefully I helped you drop at least $100 off your cost. Maybe even $200. ^_^
Double posting to bring this to your attention. The daily shell shocker deal on www.newegg.com is a quality 700 watt power supply for 50% off ($45.00 and free shipping). I woud jump all over this if I were you.
Sorry it took so long to reply my carp** computer locked up right after I posted that question and has since had a hard time opening this site (IE) had to download Fire Fox to make it work. Anyway yes I read the reviews on the MB you posted and the price is sweet but I am right now torn between the UPD4 and 5. I don’t plan to cross fire right now but may want to down the road. And with the UP4D it has one slot at 16 and one at 8 Vs the 5 that has two at 16x. I also decided to splurge and get the 4870 Toxic for the better cooling. Wish I could swing the 4890 Toxic but my wife is gracious enough to let me throw cash at this thing as is. As for monitors I am looking at a 23” and a 24” both Acer and 1200 x1080P

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI