This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Building a Gaming PC

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hey, this will be my first time building a new pc from scratch. I have been researching on how to do this and I have a friend that will help me who has experience. The games I want to play are Dragon Age Origins, Diablo 3, and The Old Republic, so I am hoping to build a pc that can easily handle these games while running at full gaming performance.

This is what I have so far and would like input on what other parts to get with them as far as a case, hardrive and graphics card. Mind you that money is not really an issue.

CPU and Motherboard:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se…mp;Sku=B69-4234

Sorry I do not have much on here yet, but as far as the rest of the parts I was hoping to get suggestions…For Ram I would like to have 6G total, maybe 3 of the 2G's but not sure which to get. Graphics Card I am a fan of NVidia. And when it comes to the harddrive I am not sure what would work great with the CPU and Motherboard I have chosen.
Have you worked out what OS you will be using? XP, W7, 32 or 64 bit? XP 32bit won't recognize more than 2GB of ram and W7 32bit won't recognize or use more than 3GB of RAM. Those games need no more than 2GB of RAM with XP and 4GB for W7 as they all have a typical loading requirement of about 1.5GB of RAM space and some of that will load into your video card. 8GB of RAM would be a waste of money even for a 64bit system. I'd start with 2x2Gb -1333-value select of G.Skill or similar (it's all I use for most games). You can always add more RAM later if you have a 64 bit OS. Geforce 9800 GT or Radeon HD 4770 level cards would be plenty enough for 1280 x 1024 pixel screen resolution and either a C2D E6600 (dual-core) or C2Q Q6600 (quad-core) CPU's at 2.4Ghz would handle those games very nicely. So too would a good quality 400 to 500w PSU with plenty of power to spare. A 500w would be plenty for a SLI combo of either of those cards too. Cheers, Lee
I am used to XP but will probly try the new W7. Guess I shall go for the 4G then. Do you happen to have a link from tigerdirect for the cpu you speak of? Guessing the one I linked would not be a good choice?
I'm in OZ (Australia) and I wouldn't have a clue as to the best places to buy PC Hardware in the US, but 'google is your friend'.. The i7 CPU for the average home PC user, is a bragging right's CPU IMHO. In 2yrs. years time, you'll pick them up for peanuts. As it's your first time PC build, don't get carried away with 'numbers' (specs). A bigger number is often meaningless and not worth paying for unless you can experience and see the difference on the display screen in front of you or intent on serious processing time saving for intensive tasks (mostly professional), but for the average user? OS speed as to what you see on your display screen when you are doing this or that, is already limited in the Registry for a 'comfortable' experience and that has been happening for a LONG time. A trip into the registry of any Windows OS, even Windows 98 and with a few number changes (if you know where and what) can dramatically change the OS experience from comfortable, to so fast as to be extremely unbearable, even if using today's slowest CPU's. Cheers, Lee
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 Processor Motherboard: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Motherboard Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
I found one who post, his desire computer to build. with a low cost. Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Mother Board: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO/U3S6 AM3 AMD 785G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard Hard Disk Drive: HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C 0F10383-20PK 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - 20 Pack -Bare Drive Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity Memory Card: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC and i something revise it to Intel Core i7, anyway its your choice… Processor: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Motherboard: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Core i7 / Xeon Intel Motherboard Hard Disk Drive: HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C 0F10383-20PK 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - 20 Pack -Bare Drive Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity Memory Card: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Computer Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI