This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Unable to access Windows Updates

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi all, I hope you can assist. I recently got hit with a fairly nasty round of malware infection. I managed to get off what I could find, but I suspect there might be some lingering items. At this point, regardless of which browser I use or the method I take to access the Windows Update I get the "Diagnose Internet Connection" displayed. Upon checking the basics, did the infection create a proxy (no), DNS server IP addresses (fine), I noticed that the hosts file was missing from C:\windows\system32. I copied over a new version from a clean machine and that did not seem to help. At this point I believe there might still be some lurking issues and could use the help. Thanks in advance. Russ
Hello doodleink2000 and welcome to WhatTheTech. Please follow these guidelines while we work on your PC:
  • Malware removal is a sometimes lengthy and tedious process. Please stick with the thread until I’ve given you the “All clear.” Absence of symptoms does not mean your machine is clean!
  • Please do not run any scans or install/uninstall any applications without being directed to do so.
  • Please follow my instructions carefully and in the order they are posted.
  • Any underlined text in my posts indicates a clickable link.
  • You should print any instructions I give you for ease of use and reference.
  • If you have any questions at all, please stop and ask before proceeding.
🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image) Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.

DDS.scr
DDS.pif
  • Disable any script blocking protection (How to Disable your Security Programs)
  • Double click DDS icon to run the tool (may take up to 3 minutes to run)
  • When done, DDS.txt will open.
  • After a few moments, attach.txt will open in a second window.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————
  • Post the contents of the DDS.txt report in your next reply
  • Attach the Attach.txt report to your post by scroling down to the Attachments area and then clicking Browse. Browse to where you saved the file, and click Open and then click UPLOAD.
🖼Click to load external image (Posted Image) Please download Rootkit Unhooker and save it on your desktop.
  • Disable your security programs
  • Double click RKUnhookerLE.exe to run it
  • Click the Report tab, then click Scan
  • Check Drivers, Stealth Code, Files, and Code Hooks
  • Uncheck the rest, then click OK
  • When prompted to Select Disks for Scan, make sure C:\ is checked and click OK
  • Wait till the scanner has finished then go File > Save Report
  • Save the report somewhere you can find it. Click Close
  • Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in your next reply.
Note - You may get this warning it is ok, just ignore it:

"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!
It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?"

Please include the following in your next post:
  • DDS and Attach.txt logs
  • Rootkit Unhooker log
Thank you RPMcMurphy. After all of the issues I've had and my attempts to clean it up, it seemed easier to just reformat. Thank you though for your time. Russ

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI