This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows rescue or recovery flash drive vs imaging flash drive

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have Win 10 x 64 and use Aomei as my imaging program. Is it advisable to use a Windows recovery flash drive or would the imaging flash drive suffice. I have tried Googling round as to how to make this Windows one but I cannot tell if it needs to be Windows 10 specific and also how to make it. it seems you have to make a disk from an ISO file then burn the flash drive with a tool called; maybe one called Rufus.

So is my Aomei flash drive OK or should I do the Windows one?

Thank you

Peter

Peter,

 

if I have read your post correctly then the Aomei will enable you to back up your files/folders and create a disc image/clone.

You will then need a method of booting your computer (in the event that Windows will, for example, not load) so that you can access your image and get the system up and running again)

 

Reading the Aomei website ( I have not used the product myself) it seems that it includes the ability of making either a Linux or Windows bootable device, and hopefully this is what you have done, and also tested that it works!

 

Turning now to "The Windows Recovery Flash drive" this is usually the bootable media that enables you to (amongst other things) repair your Win 10 installation, refresh it, or if you have included the Windows system files, reinstall Windows.

 

If it was my machine, I would be inclined to have as many methods of "getting out of trouble" at my fingertips as possible….

 

Regards

paws

All you say above is correct, especially about the Aomei flash drive that i can boot of off of if the PC will  boot.

 

I was asking if I need the Windows recovery tool besides that. I agree we should have as many tools as possible. I am having trouble finding out about that Windows tool. Google etc. seems to suggest I download an ISO file from somewhere then burn it to disc. After that I can burn it to flash drive. Is it necessary to make a disc before the flash drive?

Hi Peter,
A Flash drive, (memory stick) is a very useful tool to use for this, and the tools to create the recovery drive are included in Win 10
 
Here's the instructions:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recovery-drive-create-windows-10-a.html

A couple of tips for you…

1 Make sure you get the right version, 32 bit or 64 bit(depending on the system you use on your computer)

2 Use a New Flash drive if you can as the creation of the recovery drive will clear anything on an existing drive…. and make sure its at least 16Gb capacity.

Regards
paws

i'm curious paws why do you recommend a flash drive of 16GB in size? personally i never use a flash drive bigger than 8GB, but then again i've never run across an iso image bigger than about 4.5GB in size.

 

are windows iso images now much bigger than that (my old windows 7 iso images are only about 3.5GB) requiring a drive bigger than 8GB?

 

:popcorn:

Hi Peter,

i'm curious paws why do you recommend a flash drive of 16GB in size?

 

I find that when it comes to win 10 a flash drive used for "Recovery" works correctly when its capacity is 16GB or more, but when its smaller then often times its doesn't!

 

If you have managed to create the "Recovery" onto an 8GB flash drive and you find it regularly and consistently works just fine, then that's good to hear, however I have found through experience that 16Gb is needed for reliable consistent performance and we quite often provide it for customers on 32GB…… 

 

In the workshop reliability and consistency is more important to us than trying to use the smallest possible drive.

 

Regards

paws

HI Paws

I followed your link and also found that going to the control panel[win 10] to recovery there is a process by MS which outlines how to do create the recovery drive and it does call for a 16 GB stick. It is a huge download and took abut ten minutes but is loaded with fixes.

I never questioned that and thanks again for the referral..

Hi Peter,

i'm curious paws why do you recommend a flash drive of 16GB in size?

 

I find that when it comes to win 10 a flash drive used for "Recovery" works correctly when its capacity is 16GB or more, but when its smaller then often times its doesn't!

 

If you have managed to create the "Recovery" onto an 8GB flash drive and you find it regularly and consistently works just fine, then that's good to hear, however I have found through experience that 16Gb is needed for reliable consistent performance and we quite often provide it for customers on 32GB…… 

 

In the workshop reliability and consistency is more important to us than trying to use the smallest possible drive.

 

Regards

paws

no i haven't messed with windows recovery for years and won't let win 10 touch any of my pc's so that's why i was curious, can't remember but i assume there must be a difference between an install iso and the recovery media but like i said been that long since i've had to use such things i just can't exactly  remember now but from what i think i remember the recovery media was 1 dvd and a full backup image used to take about 7 dvd's so that's why i thought you could get away with an 8GB flash drive.

 

:popcorn:

I envy your Linux skills, terry.

I used an OS and forgot the name but it was like Windows. I think one has to really study Linux to be of with it s it asks for a ot of verbage one is not accustomed to.

Is it true it would take quite some time to be able to run Linux somewhat easily?

no peter but saying that it totally depends on what you want to do on it, there's nothing really you can do in windows you can't do in linux BUT don't expect to use the same programs in both operating systems to do most jobs.

 

in windows i'd use vlc for media playback and firefox to browse the web, in linux i use the same programs, for nearly everything else i'd use alternative linux programs instead of windows programs.

 

for most people who simple turn on their pc and browse the internet then there really is nothing to learn just install the os and open the web browser and start clicking away just like in windows.

 

biggest problem with using linux is that a lot of hardware manufacturers don't supply linux drivers for their hardware so getting some things to work can be impossible until someone writes a driver for the hardware, this problem is getting less and less though but saying that i just built a brand new skylake cpu pc for my daughter to use as an htpc and because the hardware is so new i have had a lot of silly little problems with my os of choice because of immature drivers i probably wouldn't have had if i installed a newer windows os on it.

 

with linux the drivers are built into the os (kernel) but most distros you can download and install run an older kernel than the newest available and it is the newest available that have the built in drivers for the newest hardware, for older pc's then this usually in my experience isn't an issue and things just work unlike say 10 years ago when i first started using linux when there was a lot more driver/hardware issues than there is today and you needed to choose your hardware carefully if you wanted to run a linux os.

 

really it's only when things don't work that most people give up and don't want to take the time to find and fix the issues and just revert back to using windows but if everything does work (hardware wise.) then it's just a case of accepting the fact your old programs your used to using probably won't work and you need to use different ones.

 

i'm no linux expert, fair enough i do know a bit more on how pc's work and programming than most people because i've had training(over 30 years ago.) and personal experience using and building pc's over time but there really is nothing "expert" now about my knowledge that makes it so i can do things on a pc that anyone else couldn't do if they wanted to.

 

first setup is where some may have problems but when setup and all programs are installed then using it is no different than a windows pc, just click click click. :D

 

:popcorn:

Thank you for that comprehensive explanation. I think the problem that jumps out at me with Linux is when you want to check a firewall, for example. Please bear in mind I have not touched Linux for a year now - at that time I was trying everything. Back to the issue: I would have to type a certain word in a prompt in order to get the firewall to see if it is open or closed. The words are on the tip of my tongue but I can't recall - wait,  "Sudo"is one of them. Once you get the right word than the rest is intuitive.

Then there are those long strings that forums suggest you use to achieve something - that is Greek to me.

I have new goal to keep me going. I want to find a shop where with a tech we pick out the parts and I participate in building my own PC.

I know it almost not worth it today instead of just buying a Dell but i want a task to keep me going.

So far those shops will buy parts for or with you but they assemble. I want to be part of the process. These days there are so may components that are preassembled it is easier. The motherboard is assembled and has the CPU attached to the heat sink.The power supply is preinstalled so you only have to attach the cables accordingly. i will find someone somewhere.

i think it would be very satisfying. If you keep track of your warranties for each component it should be as good as  a manufacturer's warranty.

I'll let you know when I think of that Linux OS I really liked. I forgot to mention i ran it off a stick not installed so that diminished its abilities regarding  ram etc.

Have a good one.

Peter

Hi Peter,

You can rely on Terry's advice at all times, he always gives good, technically correct, accurate advice, apart from in one particular circumstance…. :whistling:

 

When he tells you he's not a Linux expert…. then I would urge you to take on board that statement with a large pinch of salt!

 

:woot:  :woot:

Regards 

paws

I went to Windows 10 control panel and selected recovery. It led me through the steps to create Windows 10 recovery media on a 16 GB flash drive. Do you think this is ample or should I delete and use the one you are referring to?

Obviously, I don't know the difference.

 

Btw, thank you for the Aomei referral;  it is easy and fast. I created a full image and the incrementals are easily set up with or without a schedule. I email myself a reminder. The image and recovery was  faster than macrium for me.They too have a forum and  it is very similar to macrium. The articles I have read say they are really coming on strong.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI