Posting here because I don't know how to go about this.
I have a Labtop Acer 5517, Windows 7 32 bit, 3 gigs of ram. What I need to know is how to or what must I get to use the labtop to display to my big screen tv, going to be using power point to show my message to a group. So what must I get to do this.
Also what must I do to input sound to the tv also, For this I was thinking of using a USB sound card for that but not sure about it.
Any info of how to do this would be a big help, consider I have not done this before.
Jimbo
I couldn't tell you exactly, but it "should" be easy, it really depends on what you have to work with connection wise, I saw in some literature about it having an HDMI port, if it has this then you're laughing, assuming you have a TV with such a connection available, alternately if it has a VGA connector then just use that, then set it up as dual display with the TV, modern TV's often have a VGA connection for use with computers, so if you have a modern enough TV you only need whichever of these connection leads to do it.
As to audio (which is why I can't be exact), my hope is the audio would go with the video, using HDMI if available anyway, but AFAIK VGA does not, so in this case you need to have an aux in audio port on the TV, then you can hopefully connect to the audio input of that from the headphone port on the PC, but a simple audio jack lead should do the job just fine, so 2 simple leads and you should be good to go, if you have a TV without such connections you can't connect, but hopefully you have these available on you're TV, a make\model of this and I could check, hope this helps a bit.
My tv does had a hdmi, rca's. cable, svideo and so on, but does not have a vga port, my labtop does not have a hdmi but a vga port, so thats the hard part is trying to conver vga to rac, cable, svideo or hdmi.
Looked at some usb sound card and they have rca outputs, so the sound would not be an issue or has a headphone jack. main thing is going to come up with a way to do the video. I will give the make and model of my tv, I bought it last year 60 inch big screen.
Right that does make it tricky, but something like the following, used with a VGA cable (check if you need male\female etc) should work fine, my hope is you're TV has a DVI port ? http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170744
Audio depending on what you're TV has available will vary which cable is best, the PC end is a straight jack plug as per headphones you would plug in, if stereo is essential you can get an adaptor that plugs in first, that then splits right\left sound which you then plug into, but such a thing in this case is OTT IMHO, but among the following you should find the lead for the TV, hope it helps. http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&st…045=Audio+cable
Right that does make it tricky, but something like the following, used with a VGA cable (check if you need male\female etc) should work fine, my hope is you're TV has a DVI port ? http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170744
Audio depending on what you're TV has available will vary which cable is best, the PC end is a straight jack plug as per headphones you would plug in, if stereo is essential you can get an adaptor that plugs in first, that then splits right\left sound which you then plug into, but such a thing in this case is OTT IMHO, but among the following you should find the lead for the TV, hope it helps. http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=1&st…045=Audio+cable
When I get back into my house I will check up on that, I thought I had something like that here in my shop. but will get the spec's, of the tv. This is why I am asking of how to do this, cause I will be using power point to be doing Bible studies in my house.
Just incase there is a back up option for the sound, what I used to do to make watching decent films really good, I hooked the sound in through my Hi-Fi so it supplemented the TV sound, it was fantastic, not what you need here, but the point is a Hi-Fi will almost certainly have an Aux in port for sound, or a Mic input, so you could have sound come via that if the TV can't connect, but TBH I'd be amazed if the TV did not have a jack for this, my greater concern is if it has a DVI port, but given what it seems you have it should have.
Well ran into a bad problem, my tv only has, rca inputs, svideo inputs and 1 hdmi input. Tryed buying a vga to dvi and dvi to hdmi and it was a no go. Try other adapters to make it work, about when I spent 160 dollors in cable I said heck on it.
So it came to to this, a labtop with a hdmi output cost about 600, I hoped my 4 year old big screen would work, or spend 1700 on a new 60 inch lcd tv with vga and all the other inputs, well went to the tv and going to sell my old tv to make up some money.
Thanks for the help was going to be a pain of trying to get this thing to work and consider the time when i bought my tv to the ones now with all the inputs they have, me and wife went with a new tv.
Jimbo
I hope you haven't committed already, and spending the money you have quoted is just insane, no wonder you are choosing the opportunity to update the TV, but if you had of waited until we had identified what WOULD work, or at least had the best chance before spending ANY money, you may not need to do what you have possibly, at least not because of this reason alone, if I had the TV make\model then I could of seen what you were working with exactly, and been able to give you the following link as an example of what would probably work, and not cost the earth.
There were converter boxes I had seen that would easily do what you wanted as an interface to the TV, but the cost of these is more than they are worth if we can keep things as simple as this lead I have now found, I hope this reaches you in time, and hope you can return the other leads for a refund, although what you paid for them was robbery to begin with, they are all available MUCH cheaper than that, but hope you get the best result with all that is here. VGA TO TV RCA S-VIDEO ADAPTER
Aye, but some other factors came into play also. The Hitachi Projection screen was big and bulky as it. stuck out over 3 feet from the wall and in a room no bigger than 14x 12 was not leaving a lot of room.
2nd over 4 years old the brightness and color was looking kinda faded and also the tv was in a habit of just comming on by it's self for not apparent reason. So I was looking to take the thing to a shop to have ot cleaned up and looked into.
I was thinking of a new one anyway, but anyhow I have the old one sold for 400 bucks and we ended up getting 10% off the new on top of it, so that was a better deal. The lord has blessed up with money so in a way it was time for an upgrade, and beside the new tv has all the inputs and outs for other items and it also has internet connection also, which I kinda liked also.
Thanks for the help.
Jimbo
That is fine then, and those old TV's do take up a massive area compared to the new sets (more so when wall mounted), so as long as this was simply prompting the inevitable anyway it's all good, I'm sure you will be blown away by the difference in quality between them, you get used to an old TV, so don't see the slow decline in quality, but view a new TV and you wonder why you managed so long with what you had lol.
That is fine then, and those old TV's do take up a massive area compared to the new sets (more so when wall mounted), so as long as this was simply prompting the inevitable anyway it's all good, I'm sure you will be blown away by the difference in quality between them, you get used to an old TV, so don't see the slow decline in quality, but view a new TV and you wonder why you managed so long with what you had lol.
Nods wanted to make it work, but as you said, man these flat screens being no more than what 10 inchs thick, compaired to sticking out 3 feet, and yes the inputs are in the side, so were thinking of mounting it to the wall. but we are not sure of that yet.
But that adapter might have been it, like in my other post I went from vgs to dvi - dvi to hdmi and the tv could not pick up a single, Was reading the manual to be sure I was selecting the right input from my menu page, but it nenver showed a hdmi input, only options were dvd, sat, tv, cable, dvd2 and one other but it was not hdmi. Thats why we said heck on it and talked about upgrading and again the internet thing for the tv, huumm now I can sit on the sofa and cruse the net hehehe.
Thanks for the help, and I have learned a bit of how to work tv's.
Jimbo1
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI