Windows recently installed an update and now the computer is very show booting up and sometimes freezes up before it's done. I also get the bottom task bar in solid black with no icons and nothing works other that an turn off. I am attaching a Hyjack this and have also run the dss duo if you need them. I know you guys fixed me up before when MS and Dell told me I had to reformat my HD… I am hoping you can also help this time.
Thank you in adavance.
MaWilly
HYJACK THIS…
Edit to attach HJT Log 📎HJT_for_MaWilly.txt
Hi Lee - thank you for the fast reply.
I did what you asked and it wasn't really any better but I used it tonight. I got a lot of non-responsive errors and getting a site on the internet took forever! I switched back because the hard drive was making alot of noise also. Now I'm back to 20 minute boot ups and all my first complaints.
What's next?
Thank you.
MaWilly
How old is the HD?
And could you please go to 'run' and type in chkdsk /r ( note the space between k and / ) and press enter, but before you do, close down all open files. If you are asked 'would you like to schedule this operation at next reboot', type in Y and press enter and then re-boot.
Depending on your you HDD size it might take some time, but allow it to do it's job and do not press any keys.
Let me know what the situation is after that operation.
Cheers,
Lee
Lee -
I tried to run that process but my computer will not let me. I shut down everything I could think of and it would not run because something else was running. I then tried to shut down the internet connection but that would not allow me to to that either. I don't have a clue what could be running except the connection. Am I doing it correctly? The only thing in the task manager was the system idle.
MaWilly
That is correct. As Lee said, you can't run the command. You have to respond with a Y when asked, then reboot.
When you enter chkdsk /r, you will see the following prompt:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
Hello Again!
OK - I misinterpreted! Sorry. I followed the directions carefully and it was taking a long time - I actually had to go to bed so in the AM it appeared to have finished and rebooted. I had the black bottom task bar again. When I rebooted there is still a strange little thing that flashes quickly in the task bar and I checked the start up items and I don't see anything odd there. No noise now! I think part of the speed thing is the anti-virus doing what it does in the beginning. I will check with them on that issue.
Did you look at my HyJack This? I'm afraid I'm at a loss with that! I really want to make sure there's not something there causing all the crazy stuff. Do you have anything else I should do?
Thank you.
MaWilly
The Supra and Ehome stuff are for my real estate business.
The last 3 can go… 2 of them I don't recognize and the the other I don't care about.
I will get rid of the other and let you know how it goes.
Thanks you very much…
MaWilly
First and foremost.MaWilly, lets get the horse before the cart.
You said your HDD was making 'noises'. Your HDD should not be making ANY noise. If it is, it is a warning of a possible imminent and catastrophic HDD failure
This is the time to remove to Disk or an External HDD any and all important personal data and files, email addresses, passwords, bookmarks, any program exes, driver exes and anything else you can think of that is important. Try to do it all in one go!
Get that most important job out of the way first and then any problems your still having can be re-visited.
Cheers,
Lee
PS Edit: you never told me how old your HDD is (?).
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI