This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Accidentally dragged my systemprofile desktop folder ONTO the desktop

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

It finished and problem solved (13.5 hour scan) desktop is back, thanks! Ok I'll start backing up the data which will take awhile, and then use the hd diagnostics tool.

Meanwhile, have another separate problem, not sure if you'd also like a separate thread. But on my second laptop (same model, specs and OS) I accidentally dragged my systemprofile desktop folder ONTO the desktop. The folder was the transparent blue then after I dragged it turned yellow. But it lost my desktop data and now getting "location is not available" warning when clicking on the folders which were on the desktop, one of which contained over 5 gigs of data that I was ironically getting ready to backup. I don't want lose it so I'm not touching anything until guided to do so. Thanks again.

Edit: Split off from previous topic as it's a very different problem on a different computer
Ok then, just to update on how the issue was resolved. It turned out (luckily) that a 2nd copy of my system desktop folder was also in my system contacts folder. Dragging the system desktop folder onto the desktop did wipe the folder I had there off the desktop, but was still in the desktop folder which was inside the contacts folder. Would it have been nonrecoverable if not for that? Not sure…

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI