I could not find a forum for idiots, so I apologise for writing in this one. I messed up my Path Finder. A few days ago I found the folders "Start" on my pc desk and also the file "%SystemDrive%" and the folder with all my documents. I don't know how I did that.
They were not just shortcuts - is was the real thing. I found that out when trying to delete them. I called the company where I got my laptop and was told to log in in safe mode and dump the folders in Path Finder. They would find there rightful place by themselves, the advisor said.
But they didn't. Now I have all my documents in 2 copies and all three folders are sitting in the wrong places. I suppose the 2 other folders duplicated themselves as well. I have no idea how to reconstruct Path Finder. I cant remember what it is supposed to look like.
My pc works very slowly and takes about 6 minutes to start up now. I tried to log in in safe mode again as admin but Windows issues a warning to protect my system and wont let med mess with Path Finder any more.
I don't know what to do. Suggestions would be highly appreciated…
I could not find a forum for idiots, so I apologise for writing in this one. I messed up my Path Finder. A few days ago I found the folders "Start" on my pc desk and also the file "%SystemDrive%" and the folder with all my documents. I don't know how I did that.
They were not just shortcuts - is was the real thing. I found that out when trying to delete them. I called the company where I got my laptop and was told to log in in safe mode and dump the folders in Path Finder. They would find there rightful place by themselves, the advisor said.
But they didn't. Now I have all my documents in 2 copies and all three folders are sitting in the wrong places. I suppose the 2 other folders duplicated themselves as well. I have no idea how to reconstruct Path Finder. I cant remember what it is supposed to look like.
My pc works very slowly and takes about 6 minutes to start up now. I tried to log in in safe mode again as admin but Windows issues a warning to protect my system and wont let med mess with Path Finder any more.
I don't know what to do. Suggestions would be highly appreciated…
I think you'll have better luck with replys if your post this problem in the "other software" section.
Not sure if you did any research on path finder but they have a support section on thier web site. I would check there chance are you'll have better results then checking with where you bought your laptop.
On second thought I think it is better to ask moderators or administrators to please move the thread. Posting twice usually gets people in trouble…
Edit: I did not receive a validation email when I registered. But I did get one when tonka001 wrote in this thread. That is a bit strange? Perhaps moderators or administrators would look into that also?
Thank you for moving the thread.
I hope someone will happen to know how I can restore Pathfinder to default settings and keep my documents and downloaded programmes at the same time.
Please clarify:
You refer to your "pc" running slowly and you refer to not being able to boot into Windows SAFE Mode.
By deduction, it would appear that you are referring to a machine running MS Windows.
My own brief google search, suggests that Pathfinder is a file management utility used with Macintosh OS.
Are you referring to a Mac, or to a PC?
Best Regards
I have a Dell laptop with XP Home SP2.
I thought it's name was Pathfinder in English. I live in a small European country. But you are right - I used to have a Mac and that is where I picked up the name Pathfinder.
I just did a lot of searching and I believe that it's name is Explorer. The place where you have to open all the pluses if you want to see the sub-folders. It is where you have the full list with all the yellow file icons…
I am able to get into my pc in safe mode. But my attempt to organize Explorer/Pathfinder is getting blocked. A safety message pops up - even in safe mode when logged in as administrator.
It turned out to be a fine thing because what I tried to do in order to fix the problem, was (also) wrong.
Google searches and forum searches turns out to be impossible. You can't search for "Explorer" or "Pathfinder". I get millions of hits with all sorts of irrelevant information. NASA and Mars for instance. I can't find meaningful search terms…
This way we have one with the titles written in English to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
Hi again,
I'm glad you got this moved to the proper forum. I think I understand part of your problems now also.
I would like it if Doug takes the lead, and please follow his suggestions.
What I do understand now is that you have moved or deleted the %system% folder and moved or deleted the start folder.
And now because of that your not able to get the the "start" menu and things aren't operating the way they should.
When you "dumped" them into the Explorer window, do you mean that while you were in safe mode you drug them from the recycled bin into the explorer window?
If you could confrim and answer the questions above it will help to come up with solutions to fix the folders.
I did not delete the folders. But it turns out that the mess is made by a trojan and a virus. I didn't mess up after all. The name of the trojan is TrojanDownloader Zlob 630 and the virus is Text/Accoona.A.
This is a nightmare and I have no idea how to make a kill disk and reconstruct my pc.
Thank you to you all in here. I managed to get help in an other forum so the infection is gone now. All new HiJackThis logs are cleared now. What is left is blurred or half dissolved icons in most of the folders in Explorer. I don't know how to get all the icons back to default settings.
But thanks for your kindness - the main problem is gone now.
I did, thanks. Last week and yesterday. But it didn't work. I think I'll pay someone to make a Kill Disk and set my pc up again. Or buy a new one even. It's too old anyway and I'm sick and tired of this machine.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI