This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Looking to a build a gaming pc

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Well I guess I will start off by saying hello since this is my first post. Second, I'll start off by saying i have no knowledge on how to build a computer or even how they work lol. I've been doing research for a few days (I know its not much but i'm working on it) and i'd like to build my own PC for gaming. I've taken old computers apart and reassembled them so I should be able to handle the assembly I hope. I guess what i'm getting at is i don't know much about computers and I really want the satisfaction of building my own pc but I don't really know where to start. Any suggestions on parts would be great. My budget is $1000-1200 give maybe 1-200 if the performance is that much better. I'd really like a strong graphics and i'm not really sure how to build around it and make sure everything else runs smooth. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :thumbup: Side note lol I love when you can see into the case with the lighting lol I'm not sure what comes into play with that though, blue is key lol One more side note sorry 'im building it for Final Fantasy 14 online, web browsing, and lots of music.
I don't plan on building it for a few month i'm waiting until i become a little more educated on the subject but i'd just like some input on gear that is good and what some brand names are. Also what is required for a full build. Thanks
Hello viper-206,

Welcome to the WTT Forums. ^_^

Generally speaking it's very hard for us to tell you what to buy. It mostly comes down to personal preference. The following list should be all you need to build a computer from scratch :

Basics:
1. Computer Case
2. Motherboard
3. CPU
4. RAM
5. Hard Drive
6. Graphics Card
7. PSU
8. Optical Drive - DVD/CD Drive
9. WiFi Card (optional)
10. Aftermarket CPU Cooler (optional
11. Operating System (Essential!)

Then you also need to consider :
1. Screen
2. Keyboard / Mouse
3. Speakers



In your case I think you could get away with mid-range components. You won't need a Intel Core i7 to run something like Final Fantasy Online, so look at buying a mind range AMD Processor instead. Much the same can be said for your graphics card, there is no need to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars, so you could get away with an ATi graphics card over nVidia.

In essence, though, it all comes down to personal preference. Try filling out the checklist and I'll see if I can help you out afterwards.

The other option, of course, is to buy a pre-built machine. You'll need to research the specifications, but if you aren't completely confident when it comes to building a machine from scratch it may be the best option for you.


I hope that helps,
Nahumi
I can't decide on ram or a GPU. So far this is what I have any suggestions and does everything work well together? (if someone wants to take me under their wing that'd be sweet)

Motherboard- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc…E16813128423(I assume this works with the cpu and case I picked)
Case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc…82E16811129021
CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc…82E16819115214
Hard Drive- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc…L%201TB%207200
CD/DVD drive- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc…82E16827151175
PSU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc…82E16817371022

Any input would be great. I think i'm also going to go with dual monitors and i'm curios if i'll need anything special for that. Also, to add music from my computer to an ipod all you need are usb ports correct?

Thanks :thumbup:
Hey viper-206, Yeah, you only need USB ports to connect your iPod to your computer. Could you repost the full links again? It seems you only posted the shortened versions, which don't work. Thanks, Nahumi
Case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811129021 $100
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case


CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819115202 $280
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920


M board- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…128423
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $209

PSU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817371022 $115
Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply


$100 Hard Drive- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…amp;Tpk=Western %20Digital%20Caviar%20Black%20WD10000LSRTL%201TB%207200
Western Digital Caviar Black WD10000LSRTL 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive


CD drive- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16827151175
SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache EIDE/ATAPI 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM
Some very good choices so far.

For RAM I would suggest something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…7-569-_-Product
$117

The reason I'm suggesting 2 Channel at the moment is that this RAM pair runs at 2000 mhz, which is much quicker than the more usual DDR3 1600. Your motherboard may need a BIOS update, but it should run any RAM up to 2200 mhz. I think in your case it would also make more sense to buy less but faster RAM now and then spend the rest of your budget on one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…5-320-_-Product
$309

All that comes to a grand total of around about $1225. You still need to buy Windows and any other peripherals…but it should be a top of the range rig. If you want to spend a bit more, spend it on the GPU and get something like a nVidia GTX 480. At any rate, a Fermi based nVidia GTX 470 will play all the games at max settings and shouldn't have to replace it for many years to come.

Let me know how it goes.

Nahumi
This is what I have so far. How does it look? I might go with smaller monitors to cut the cost some and I'm not really sure that I'll need the SSD for Final Fantasy 14 but people told me my HDD will be my bottleneck and I'm curious to know if it will really hurt me that bad to just do without.


Case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811129021 $100
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case


CPU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819115202 $280
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920


M board- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…128423$209
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard


PSU- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817371022 $115
Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply


$94 Hard Drive- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16822136533
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive


CD drive- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16827151175
SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache EIDE/ATAPI 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM


Ram- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16820231225
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ $155


GPU (graphics card)- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…0-481-_-Product
XFX HD-583X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $230

SDD- Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2/64GB 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) improves the speed of load times with the hard drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16820139132
$147


LED lights
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811994001
LOGISYS Computer CLK12BL2 12" DUAL COLD CATHODE KIT - OEM


x2Monitors http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16824236053

ASUS VH222H Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor Built in Speakers 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR20000:1) w/ SPDIF out $360

Operating system (OS)- $100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…6-754-_-Product

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM


$1815 total not including tax/S&H
Looks great to me.

An SSD will increase boot times and the general speed of the machine. It also has a longer life than a hard drive and is less susceptible to breakages, mainly because it doesn't have any moving parts.

But

You'll need to manage your files in a slightly different way. You need to make sure you install the OS onto the SDD as well as the applications you use the most. But anything else, including music, documents and applications you barely use, you should stick on the hard drive. That way you economically use the limited space on your SDD.

You won't really notice the difference when playing games though, that's the only real downside. Overall the machine will respond faster in most normal situations, but when it comes to games, the hard drive or SDD rarely has an effect on the speed at which the game runs.

Also, I wouldn't recommend getting two 1080p monitors. You'll find that the graphics card will have a particularly hard time at trying to play games at that combined resolution at max settings. Just buying one monitor should work fine, or only playing on one of the two monitors should be okay too.
Yeah I was just going to game on one and have itunes and internet sites on the other. Thanks a lot for the help, was very helpful!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI