This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Physical Memeory always runs at 45+% even after start up

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Thanks for your help in advance.

I received great help from Malware Dept that reduced my Physical Memory from always above 60% to 45% even after start up is completed and I have not opened any programs. They referred me to the Tech Team to see if this is normal or what can be done.

So to start. What is a normal/acceptable range for Physical Memory usage when no programs have been opened after start-up is completed. My Physical memory is at 45+% after start up and I have not opened any programs.

The windows task manger usually has 90 processes running at one time.

Top users when no other programs are opened by me except firefox.

svchost.exe 50,000K
firefox.exe 46,000K
dwm.exe 20,000K
svchost.exe 15,000K
svchost.exe 10,000K
sidebar.exe 8,000K
explore.exe 7,000K
svchost.exe 7,000K
etc for about 90 processes.

Thanks Bio

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…=113908&hl=
Hello Bio, Before we go any further we need to know the specifications of your machine. Make and Model number would do, but if you can let us know how much RAM you have installed that would be helpful too. Cheers, Nahumi
Let's have an overview of your machine's configuration and current performance.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. At WTT we prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.
_____________________________________________________________

Next let's have a separate look at just your startup application and processes:

Please consider running this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active, or not.

CodeStuff-Starters
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Starter.html

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab -
  • Click on File
  • Select - save as .Plain Text (name the report file - Startups Aug15.txt

In your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons – at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window where you are typing your next reply)

Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.


In your next reply, please provide:
Link to PCPitstop Overdrive Full Tests - Results
Startups Report in plain text

Best Regards
In general, you seem to have a strong and well running machine, that may have a few more processes and applications running than you may need. Lenovo (in my opinion) typically adds additional automated monitoring systems that may or may not benefit the user, thus you see a larger number of processes running. Keep in mind that DWM.exe (Desktop Windows Manager) is responsible for the attractive visual presentation of Aero and that you also have Side-Bar with gadgets You may be able to reduce the process load a little by reducing visual effects in favor of performance. I'd look first, however, to reducing third-party applications that may not be needed and may not be serving good purpose. Diskeeper is one I'd disable because there is very little need to have background defragging. Large performance hit, for limited benefit. (and Diskeeper isn't doing you any good anyway since your HD is 25% defragmented as is) (Better to run native Defrag tool from SAFE Mode, once every 3-6 months instead) Adobe does not need to be running from Startup RoxioDragToDisc does not need to be running from Startup I would completely Uninstall Windows Defender, because you have a security solution (Avast!) and Windows Defender may produce more conflict that benefit. Add Malwarebytes as a manual scan antispyware. Consider Disabling: InstallShield Update Service Digital Line Detect Roxio/Sonic CD/DVD RW suppor Groove Monitor Sun Java Update BlueTooth (if you don't use it SoundMax controls (because they are already set and rarely need to be changed) Unless you have some noticeable performance issues, I would not worry about disabling any others of the running processes. Let us know what benefit you may experience from the above suggestions. Best Regards
Thanks for the suggestions. Couple more questions. How do I disable a program? Same as Uninstall? How do I take something off of the start up menu? I am having trouble uninstalling windows defender. It does not show up when I use the Uninstall option in the Control Panel. Physical Memory at 50-55% after startup is complete is acceptable with my available RAM? do I really need o worry about Physical Memory usage? Thanks Bio
Hi Bio, gee I am surprised noone has responded in a month. Disabling a program? I have done it but I can't remember off the top of my cranium. I believe you want to remove it from your start menu. Do a google search. It is not difficult but it is not the same as uninstalling. Wow, you have 90 processes running???????? I just checked task manager and I have 31. I really try to stay away from tool bars, plug-ins, add-ons for Firefox, ( I have 3.6.6 ) etc. Sometimes they are nice but they seem to add a lot of clutter and don't go away nicely. I have only 1G memory and use is typically around 50%. That doesn't seem to bother anything I want to do.
Have you checked the folder for Windows Defender for a Uninstall command?
If not there then try this:
Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.


http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI