This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

one of the SVCHOST.EXE processes is using upto 100MB ram

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I really do not know what to do. I have ran Spybot Search & Destroy, Windows defender, McAfee AV, and looked at my processors through ProcessExplorer, but none of these are finding anything wrong with this one SVCHOST.EXE that averages between 75-100MB of ram. With this being so hi, it is really making it complicated to run McAfee Securtiy Center which includes Firewall, AV, and System Guard, not to mention when I need to run Photoshop or Director that brings my total ram down to under 100MB left out of a 512 DDR RAM total. When this happens, PS runs to a craw or even crashes on the simpliest task such as just clicking on the menubar. In addition, when I uninstalled McAfee, just to see how much ram I have without it, my memory only shoots up to about 225MB, and just about 7 months ago, my ram was at 350MB. So, eventhough McAfee does take up a big amount of resources, by not having McAfee installed goes to show you that McAfee cannot be the major culprit considering that I am still 125MB of ram short when you compare my memory from 7 months ago. Is there anything else that can help me find the culprit?
I think I need to move on to the HJT forum. I say this because I did some research, and found another site that experts look at HJT logs and the culprit was a rootkit called lzx32.sys. So just for the fun of it, I did a *.sys search and found at least 2 files so far that look suspicious as well as no documentation on it when I searched them through google, and their dates are from the year 2004 and 2005 as oppose to real window sys files dating in the 2001-2002. I do not know what your policy is about removing threads is, meaning do I request it or can I do it myself ect, so I thought I just mention that this thread can be ignored.
Thanks for letting us know the situation there. Good luck with your HJT log and the needy removal of the rustok rootkit. No need to worry about deleting the thread, it will archive with time. :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI