I am trying to figure out how to set this up. This is how I want it set up.
ISP —> Computer with two cards (One card connected to the ISP/Modem) (The Second Card goes to the Router) —–> Router—— > network (The network as lots of computers on it.)
With the computer with the two cards, I want to be able to track what people are going to for websites. I want to have it set up this way, so I don’t have to deal with software on their computers. Also this will make the chance of them getting around it a lot harder.
So my question is how I go around setting up the computer with the two network cards, to be able to do what I want.
Please tell us a little more about your needs and what you are attempting to accomplish.
Plus will this be a business or home network?
Will the entire network be served by only one ISP account?
"Please tell us a little more about your needs and what you are attempting to accomplish." = I ham trying to have the internet from the ISP go through this computer, then have a network card in it, so it can send the internet out again, I guess you could think of it like a router kinda. But when someone from the networks goes to a website, I was the computer to record the website that they are going to.
"Plus will this be a business or home network?" = Business
"Will the entire network be served by only one ISP account?" = One ISP
Sure you can do that.
Your primary computer would be connected to your ISP's modem, and other computers would be connected to the Internet via ICS Internet Connection Sharing from your primary machine.
In my opinion, that is not a desirable setup, because of all computers sharing the same stream to the internet in serial position instead of parallel. Therefore slow-down and performance hit. But it is doable.
I would prefer a Modem - Router - network configuration, allowing the Router to distribute the sharing in a way that does not cause a performance hit.
Routers can also be configured to save logs of sites visited, and/or block specific sites of your choice.
As to "logging" and/or "watching" the activity on the other computers, that is doable and if you own the IP access address, and the networked computers, you also probably have the "right" to do so. Most often it is advisable to have a statement in the Employee Handbook to that effect.
There are a ton of "net-nanny" type softwares that can give you your desired results in various shades of intrusiveness, from blocking undesirable sites, all the way to logging, monitoring and watching activity of other machines on your network in real-time.
WTT will not recommend software to accomplish the logging and/or monitoring type functions, because though the software and purpose may be legal, the same can be used for other nefarious purposes which should stay as the responsibility and choice of the user.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI